0 ppm Nitrate - does this cause a problem for plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Hi. I am reading 0 ppm Nitrate. It has been under 10 ppm for several weeks. No symptoms on plants yet.

I have a 10 gallon tank with an MGOCPM substrate that I converted a couple of months ago from gravel. Plants are growing. pH 7.6.

Do I need to dose NO3 because there is an unmeasurable amount in the water?

Thanks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
No, depending upon circumstances.

If you have a high-tech system with bright light and diffused CO2, the other nutrients have to be increased to balance, and this includes nitrogen. Most aquarium plants prefer ammonium as their source of nitrogen, and only when this is exhausted will they turn to nitrate. Using nitrate requires more energy from the plants because they have to change it back into ammonium, and this is why they only resort to nitrate when ammonium is not sufficient and everything else (light and the other 16 nutrients) is available. No one is going to dose ammonia, so nitrate is considered safer in high-tech systems. In other situations, there is usually more than sufficient ammonia/ammonium from fish respiration and the breakdown of organics. I have a 20g planted tank used solely for quarantining new fish, and it can sit fish-less for months; while the plants certainly slow down, they still live even with minimal nitrogen (ammonium).

Many low-tech or natural planted tanks have low nitrates, often zero, but rarely above 10 ppm, which is good, as higher nitrate is now believed to cause issues for many of our fish species.

Byron.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Tom Barr's experiments showed that issues arose not from any nutrient excess, but rather from one nutrient being exhausted with the others still available. Plants usually have some reserves stored, so unless this is a chronic issue it could be fine for a moment. I'm one to assume uptake has increased beyond what is available from your bioload and start dosing lightly in that case though and not just nitrate, I'd increase the other nutrients at the same time just to keep a balance.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Tom Barr's experiments showed that issues arose not from any nutrient excess, but rather from one nutrient being exhausted with the others still available. Plants usually have some reserves stored, so unless this is a chronic issue it could be fine for a moment. I'm one to assume uptake has increased beyond what is available from your bioload and start dosing lightly in that case though and not just nitrate, I'd increase the other nutrients at the same time just to keep a balance.
I think that the plants are taking up ammonium, bypassing the Nitrogen cycle that results in NO3. So the plants are getting their Nitrogen without our being able to detect it. Sorry it took me this long to come up with a clear-headed solution :) I honestly don't have a clue about why Nitrogen is dosed in high-light tanks if this is the case.

Steven

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I think that the plants are taking up ammonium, bypassing the Nitrogen cycle that results in NO3. So the plants are getting their Nitrogen without our being able to detect it. Sorry it took me this long to come up with a clear-headed solution :) I honestly don't have a clue about why Nitrogen is dosed in high-light tanks if this is the case.

Steven
Steven, in a high-tech setup, all nutrients have to be increased along with the light in order to balance. Nitrogen is one nutrient, and we know that most aquatic plants prefer to uptake nitrogen in the form ammonium (ammonia). The amount of nitrogen required to balance is beyond what the fish and organic breakdown will provide, so, like all other nutrients including carbon (CO2), it has to be added somehow. Most aquarists would not like to be adding ammonia, so nitrate is the usual form of nitrogen. The plants, being driven to photosynthesize full out, will take up the nitrate when ammonia/ammonium is no longer available.

When you are talking low-tech or natural method planted tanks, such as you and I both have, dosing nitrate is foolish because there is more than sufficient ammonia/ammonium available to balance the moderate light and less carbon (CO2) in particular. The fact that we also employ filtration and a part of this is biological, meaning the nitrifying ammonia-oxidizing bacteria are also taking up ammonia/ammonium, shows just how much there is naturally. We discourage excess biological filtration in natural planted tanks so we can be confident that there will be sufficient ammonia/ammonium for the plants' needs, in balance with everything else. And beyond this, plants can take up toxic ammonia aside from using it as a nutrient, and they have a fair capacity for this (according to Tom Barr).

Back to your initial question, you have answered that here. Plants out-compete the bacteria for ammonia/ammonium, so little gets into the nitrification cycle. Our basic aquarium test kits will not detect these small amounts, thus you see (or should) zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and very low if not zero nitrate.

Nitrate is also being used by different bacteria in the substrate. Walstad in her book refers to her own experiments proving that bacteria in the substrate significantly reduced nitrates, but these remained high in non-substrate containers of the same water.

But again back to your initial question, nitrate at zero is not unusual in planted tanks set up as low-tech or natural, and nitrates are not required by the majority of plants in such setups. And for those that do, the fish load most of us maintain likely ensures there will be sufficient.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store