What size fishing pole for general freshwater fishing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stelER

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2014
I want to buy a freshwater fishing pole, but just need to know what size I should get. I'm not going to be fishing for a particulary kind of fish, just for general purpose fishing, NOT ON A BOAT or anything.. And I dont want a fishing pole that's not TOO small, so I'll still beable to catch a big fish if one happens to bite.

Thank you for your help everyone! And have a great time fishing in this weather! :)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I use a 7' Light/medium action rod. It works well for most all lure and bait fishing that I do.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
casting from shore? river, stream lake?

they require different set ups but 6'6" to 7' light action ...(light/md) will also do

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My favorite is an inexpensive light/medium 5'6" combo that I got at WalMart. It's a two piece rod, so is easier grab and go than my 7' medium action set, which doesn't break down.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
this is a very vague post. what kind of fish are you targetting (size, species...)? what kind of environment (fw,sw, river, beach, boat...)? and how much are you able to spend? what is your experience level, do you knw how to use a spinning, conventional, casting reel? lets start with these points and then better reccomendations can be given.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store