Major Trimming and Green Water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Possibly. Green water is caused by unicellular algae that proliferate due to high nutrients and/or high light. If the plants/light/nutrients were in balance previously, removing a sizeable portion of the plants cold throw this balance off. I would look first to nutrients. Substantial water changes, and vacuuming the substrate, should help. Have you tested nitrates and pH?

Byron.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
6.4 and about 40. Believe it or not, that is usually my customary value for nitrates.
Nitrates that high are not safe for fish long-term. An upper limit of 20 ppm and preferably no more than 10 ppm is what is now recommended. Are these from the tank itself (I would assume so, given the green water), or do you perhaps have nitrate in the source water (presumably tap water)? It is important to know this, as there are two ways to deal with nitrates that differ according to their source.

Has the pH lowered from the norm? Nothing wrong with pH at 6.4, just wondering if this has dropped at all.

Byron.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
No, 6.4 is normal. The 40 ppm N is due to high dosing: 1 tsp of KNO3 every other day. Just wanted to keep my wisteria looking good.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
No, 6.4 is normal. The 40 ppm N is due to high dosing: 1 tsp of KNO3 every other day. Just wanted to keep my wisteria looking good.
Is this a high-tech setup, with diffused CO2 and high light? If not, there is no value or need for dosing nitrogen (nitrate). This is probably a major part of your problem. Plants including Wisteria prefer nitrogen in the form ammonium, and there should be plenty of ammonia/ammonium from the fish respiration and breakdown of organics for the plants in a natural or low-tech system.

I would not have nitrate this high as it is now known to cause problems for most fish.

Byron.

HenryJordan

AC Members
Apr 24, 2014
hydra-aqua.com
Scattered single-celled green algae cells make Pond water look green like pea soup.
It make pond ugly as well can imbalance pond ecosystem.

You can use Hydra Crystal or Pond Clear Plus to make pond water crystal clear without affecting liners & aquatic life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store