shrimps or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shadow Song

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2004
Cheshire, England
Visit site
I've just set up a small 40 litre tank for my other half, he just wanted something easy to look after so he's just got 3 platys in there atm but he was looking for something to add that will clean the tank but he's against snails. I don't want to overcrowding the tank so I was just thinking of adding one or two shrimp but i've never had any myself before so I was after any advice about wether they would be suitable or not and what the optimum conditions for them are.
His tank is temperate, 40 litres and has a marina S10 filter and small air stone but no live plants. Thanks

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I am not sure how many gallons a 40 litre converts to, but it sounds roughly like a 10 gal tank. that would be great for shrimp by theirselves, but I would think plattys would eat the shrimp, esp. since there is no plants. You know snails come in all different makes and models. What about a rabbit snail? They come in several colors, are big, livebearers so don't reproduce very fast, and are really cool.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
If you go with ghost shrimp you should be fine, say 4-6 of them. Red Cherry Shrimp adults may get eaten by the Platys, the young for sure would be. A few dwarf crayfish would also do the job and the Platys would be in no danger as long as you stick with dwarfs.

Shadow Song

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2004
Cheshire, England
Visit site
40 Litres is around 10 gallons, I ended up getting adding some java ferns and two yamato shrimp to see how they went and they're doing so well they've already shed and grown a couple of times. They only come out to feed and when I do water changes so everyone that comes over ends up jumping round the room and cheering if they spot one of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store