First timer- 10g low tech?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mannamae

Sometimes I even amaze myself
Jul 14, 2008
holt, MI
Real Name
Amanda
Some friends bought me a 10g starter tank as a gift and I am thinking I want to do my first planted. Wondering if this might be to difficult with a 10g? I will probably need a new hood/lighting. It's an LED tank and I can't find wattage anywhere. The tank is currently sitting in the bath tub full of water to find out if it leaks (glass tank).

I am thinking of replacing the filter with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJ0M1E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER it came with a tetra whisper

Using Eco Complete as the substrate and just a few plants to start? I was looking at Flourite (SP?) but I understand that needs a lot of rinsing and I don't have access to an outdoor hose.
And yes, a test kit, heater, chemicals, and all the other goodies that I will need.

I did a lot of searching but can't seem to find much for lighting other than a watt per gallon rule. Or a general "first planted" guide that isn't technical beyond my skill or just say "you could do this, but you could do this, and there is this too...".

Anyone have a website to find lighting/hoods on as well?

Darn newbies and all their silly questions.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
You can estimate the wattage of your led light by looking at the power converter. The converter will list the DC out (probably 12 volts) and the amps (probably listed as mAmps). Just multiply volts and amps to get watts. That will be the max watts but led may be a tad less than that.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can likely not worry about watts, it's not really a good measurement of the amount of available light.

you would really want to worry about PAR and depth.

in this case, trying an internet search for people with the same tank/light and seeing what plants they can grow would be your best option, but I expect low to really low light plants will be your limit with the LEDs you currently have.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yup, that's 1.8 watts. You have 0.15 amps at 12 volts. That won't grow anything sorry to let you know. Let me see if can can dig up some led lights for comparisons.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
In a 10g you will probably go with a natural or low-tech method planted tank. Adding diffused CO2 is not really practical or beneficial in this small a space. If you can find a site with data on your light, post the link and one of us can have a look.

On the filter, you really do not want the linked filter, that is way overkill and not be appreciated by plants or small fish. A single sponge filter is all you need on a 10g planted. I had one runing with no filter for months, but I do prefer just a simple sponge; the water is clearer (clearer and cleaner are different, BTW).

On the substrate, I would not waste the money for Eco-Complete or Flourite, having tried these and found they were no better than plain sand or fine gravel. Plus they are sharp and this can cause problems for substrate fish. In a 10g you will want small fish, various "dwarf" species, so sand (like play sand) will work fine, about 1.5 inch depth overall.

A complete liquid fertilizer dosed once a week will likely be sufficient for the species of plants suited to this space. I use Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, just a half-teaspoon once a week in a 10g.

Just for illustration, photos attached are of my 10g at various stages over five years (2010, 2012 and 2014). The first was when it was the no-filter no-light experiment. Third is today; it is now a grow-out tank for some Farlowella (Twig Catfish) fry and my group of pygmy corys. Will add some dwarf rasbora (Boraras brigittae or B. maculatus type) when I next find some locally.

Byron.

10g Aug 19-10 (2).JPG 10g Jan 4-12.JPG 10g May 28-14.JPG

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ok, here are some examples of low end LED lighting.

This one is very close to your specs. It's 12 volts and 100mA. This the bubble wand with LED lights.
This is 1.2 watts and definitely will not grow anything. So really you have a light very close to this one.

IMG_0661.JPG

Here is a clip on LED that I know won't grow anything either for a 10 gallon tank. Maybe a 1 gallon nano.
This is 15 volts and 400mA which is 6 watts.

IMG_0662.JPG

I have a LED light bar over my 5 gallon nano which is 15 volts and 800mA or 12 watts. This one puts out 400 lumen of light and it is enough light for low light plants in a 5 gallon but might not be enough for 10 gallon tank.

IMG_0663.JPG

I would say look for light with 800 lumen or more for a 10 gallon. I had a CFL with 900 lumen over a 12 gallon and that was enough light to grow low light plants.

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG

mannamae

Sometimes I even amaze myself
Jul 14, 2008
holt, MI
Real Name
Amanda
Would this filter be too much? It is the one that came with it http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/.../whisper-internal-aquarium-power-filters.aspx
I have not worked with a sponge filter before so I am not sure what that would be...

This is the type of hood it came with http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/...ial-plants-nets/led-aquarium-hood-lights.aspx the 20x10 I believe. there are 2 small banks of LED lights on the underside of the hood

Would this be an acceptable replacement for the hood? http://www.petmountain.com/product/...cto-fluorescent-recessed-full-hood-black.html

Feeling linktastic this afternoon. Thanks for talking about play sand, I wasn't sure about there being room for root growth with that but I will look into it now, much more budget friendly. Is there a fert you prefer? Seachem is what came up in my search...

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Would this filter be too much? It is the one that came with it http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/.../whisper-internal-aquarium-power-filters.aspx
I have not worked with a sponge filter before so I am not sure what that would be...
This should work. Will take up more room than a sponge, and the carbon isn't needed with plants, but that cartridge could be removed and replaced with simple filter foam, or used as eventually the carbon will become ineffective anyway. Problem with carbon is that it removes good stuff like nutrients and dissolved organic carbon which plants need.

The photo show the Hagen Elite dual sponge and single sponge filters; it is simply a sponge through which the water is drawn by the column of air from an air pump, and the sponge filters out particulate matter. The Whisper will do much the same, only more complicated with the other media.

This is the type of hood it came with http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/...ial-plants-nets/led-aquarium-hood-lights.aspx the 20x10 I believe. there are 2 small banks of LED lights on the underside of the hood

Would this be an acceptable replacement for the hood? http://www.petmountain.com/product/...cto-fluorescent-recessed-full-hood-black.html
Fishfanman knows more about these LED lights than I do, and has posted. I have very little experience with LED, and the light over my 10g is a basic incandescent like this
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...erfecto-incandescent-recessed-hood-black.html
from your link. I use two 10w GE 6500K CFL screw-in bulbs. This is moderate light and what is shown in my previous tank photos. I'm sure you could get LED comparable, but fishfanman and others can advise.

Thanks for talking about play sand, I wasn't sure about there being room for root growth with that but I will look into it now, much more budget friendly. Is there a fert you prefer? Seachem is what came up in my search...
I now have Quikrete Play Sand (what is showing in those earlier pohotos) in five of my six operating tanks, and have had this for 3+ years now. I personally wouldn't use anything else. It is very inexpensive, realistic in appearance, not rough, and substrate fish like corys love digging into it.

I use Seachem products because they are good and the least expensive I can get online. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is the basic complete liquid, and all you will need. Another equal is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. I buy in bulk, the 2L jugs because of my several planted tanks, and online these are the least expensive per volume. But with just the one 10g, a small bottle of either product mentioned will last you months.

Byron.

Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store