Discus identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suva_discus

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2014
Hello,
I am a Discus hobbyist from Kolkata – India. Recently I have seen few red coloured Discus in a LFS. The shop-keeper said that these are Malaysian Discus, the group of 3.5inches Discus are Rose Red and the single 2inches Discus is Alenquer Red. I took the pictures and shared with few other hobbyists, some of them are saying that these are San Merah, while others are saying that these are Virgin Red. I am attaching the pictures here. I would highly appreciate if somebody could please advice under which type / variety does the 3.5inch and the 2inch belong to and help me to identify the strains from the attached photographs.
Warm regards,
Suva
3.5 inch discus.jpg2 inch discus.jpg

3.5 inch discus.jpg 2 inch discus.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
top photo looks like they could be virgin reds @ 3.5 " possibly stressed or they have not fully developed their color.
I have VR's(virgin reds) and they looked like that when they were younger. they are much larger with some topping 6" now. I've had them for more than 1 year(2" juvies when I got them)

the bottom one it's hard to say as it looks to be juvenile as well .
their colors will become more pronounced as they mature , to get a better idea of which strain they are.

suva_discus

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2014
Hello,
Do you have photograph of your VR's anywhere? I am highly interested in viewing how do they look... Would it be possible for you to send me?
Cheers / Suva

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
go to search and use virgin reds as key words.. you can see them ..they are older pictures

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store