Betta: Sick or stupid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
This betta is in a 5 gal tanks with a few white clouds a few live plants (soon to be a more hevily planted tank) and some platic plants for extra cover until the ther live plants come in.

The filter is a ACmini. Most of the time I have it running on full flow. The mountain minnows seems to like the current and are more active and eat more when the filter in on full and the betta, usually doesn't mind it, and does not appear to be suffering from the flow.

But every so often I come by to find him stuck against the intake and I have to turn the filter down low and shake him lose, then I leave the filter low for a few days wondering if he is sick.

My problem is, he eats and he swims and the other day he was blowing bubbles, and I can have the filter on full power for a few weeks before I find him stuck to it.

So, is he sick or stupid? Why is he always getting caught against the filter?

When I have it on low he spends alot of time near the intake tube.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
hes probably sick, any calm places for him to rest? i have a 10 gallon sized powerfilter on my 3 gallon and the betta is fine.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Nothing but a fish bowl

I need the filter for the white clouds. I change about 75% of the water every week, occasionally only 50%.

All I have that he could move into would be a 1 gal fish bowl. I can't afford anything at the moment, and that is the only thing I can see wrong with him. He's done this since I got him about a month and a half ago.

I have no luck with bettas. My first one turned grey and died after a week, this one gets stuck every few weeks, and my third got white spot disease and died. I'm giving up after this guy, but for now, other than moving him into an unfiltered tiny bowl, I can't really do anything for him. Wouldn't it just be better to leave him in the 5 gal?

And he rests on the platic plant alot, sometimes on the floor of the tank, forgot to mention that. I know sleeping on the plants is normal but finding him on the bottom strikes me as strange.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
See if it would be possible to create some sort of current free zone on one side of the tank. Possibly put a huge clump of plants over there that he can rest in. I had my betta in a 10 gallon and he would hang out around the filter with no problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store