Dead Dwarf Gaurami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kylekylekyle

AC Members
May 31, 2014
Hey guys,
I was just wondering what could kill a healthy adult dwarf gaurami out of the blue with no signs or symptoms. Ive had him for about 5 months and he appeared very very healthy and always ate alot at feeding time but when i wokeup this morniung he was laying on the bottom of the tank dead. He did not have foggy eyes and was still limp. All of my water parameters and good and all of my other fish are still healthy and happy. Any idea what could cause such a rapid and unexpected death like this?
Thanks alot!
-Kyle

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I had a healthy blue dwarf gourami die a few months back. i found out that these fish often eat their own waste which causes parasites to build up in the stomach until it kills them. It is suggested that you vacuum the tank's substrate to insure there are no poo particles for it to eat. Also, fasting it once a month for a week will make certain that its stomach is cleansed regularly.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Weird one indeed, provided healthy water parameters and a regular water change schedule. Like neatfish said, I have read of such a thing as dwarf gourami disease. Luck has been with me in terms of stock. I've got a ~2yr/old male dwarf flame gourami in one tank and a super tiny 2+ yr old female honey gourami in another.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I've alway had problems keeping Honey Dwarf Gouramis alive more than 6-12 months. Mine also seemed to die suddenly but sometimes with bellys that were a bit too fat.
I feed Daphnia a couple times a week to help cleanse their system but I am no expert in keeping these fish alive!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store