LED lights "burning" plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
On my 29 gal tank I had 3 strips of LED lighting - 2 bright day and 1 colored. With all 3 LED strips my plant leaves would eventually turn brown. There is always new growth so I know the plants are alive but the leaves would eventually turn brown. I took one strip of the Bright Day out about 10 days ago and now I have a lot more new leaves and they are staying bright green. So, is there such as thing as "burning" leaves with too much light? I know that not enough light will make the plants turn spindly and yellowish. This has never been the case with my plants, so I know the LED's are more than sufficient even though from posts I've read in a lot of forums the LED's are not enough light and/or will not grow plants at all.

I would love to know what other forum members with LED lights are experiencing!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
You don't mention specifically what plants you have but a lot of stem plants, with bright light, will get a brownish reddish hue to them. That might be the case in your situation. Do they still look firm and healthy?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I have 3 planted tanks all with LEDs and my low and medium light plants are growing well. I have a banana plant which needs lots of light doing really well. My spatterdock is doing good. I'm thinking you need more nutrients to keep up with more light. When I crank up my led to full brightness on my main tank, I just get more algae.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
You don't mention specifically what plants you have but a lot of stem plants, with bright light, will get a brownish reddish hue to them. That might be the case in your situation. Do they still look firm and healthy?
I have Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Bolbitis Heudilotii, Bleheri Amazon Sword, Corkscrew Vallisneria, Cryptocoryne Lutea, and Anacharis.

Yes, all the plants look healthy and continue putting out new healthy growth. Only the Anacharis, Vals and Bolbitis, have not had the brown leaf problem. I did have some beard algae covering the driftwood and drifting on the ends of some of my plants. I would rub the leaves with my fingers and the algae came off. The leaves were a little greener but never got the original vibrant green. I bought 2 SAE and it only took them about 3 days to get rid of every hair of the beard algae! (They are so awesome!) Now it's been about 2 weeks and I know there isn't any algae growing on the plants making them brown so it must be the light.

I use Flourish excel for my plants and once in a while a root tab, so I don't think they are lacking in nutrients. Maybe the lights are just turning the leaves a different hue instead of "burning" them. My crypts look like they have a natural red stalk and vein.

I took some photos and will upload some when I find the cord to download from my camera onto my computer. :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Any idea on the specs for your LED strip lights? My experience with them was, just because they give off bright light doesn't necessarily mean your plants are going to thrive under them.

On the other hand, I have a Beamswork 6500K 48" LED fixture on my 75g intended for plants that's worked out really well.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
That's just it... I have no way of knowing. The manufacturer doesn't give any information so all I can do is guess. I think it's very minimal though, even with 3 strips. That's why I'm confused as to why the plant leaves turn brown when all 3 strips are being used, then they grow even more leaves which stay greener longer when I use only two strips.

I think that's awesome the LED lights are working for you. Other members also say that, but they have no idea why or how that is occurring, or should I say, how to "measure" the light.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, if you really think its simply too much light you could get a dimmer and find what works. Or get floating plants. That's what I've done in my main tank

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Well, if you really think its simply too much light you could get a dimmer and find what works. Or get floating plants. That's what I've done in my main tank

I do have some floating plants so we will see. :) Thanks for your input

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store