55 gallon stock list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
would this work in a 55 gallon tank, heavily planted, filter- eheim 2213 canaster filter, plus a power head if i need extra water movement,

1-spiketail paradise gourami(Macropodus Cupanus Dayi)
6-Boesmani Rainbow fish(Melanotaenia Boesmani)
18-Reg Tiger Barbs(Capoeta Tetrazona)
6-Yoyo loaches (Botia Lohachata)

thanx for any help:hi:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd probably replace the tiger barbs with something a little smaller and less aggressive, and fewer of them, and reduce the number of yo-yo's to 3. The barbs may rip up the paradise, and they will be a huge waste load. Maybe a smaller tetra, or some cherry barbs instead--and even then, only around 9-10 of them.

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
okay

how about this, after some more research and real looking into what i was looking for in this tank.

hows about

1 bristle nose pleco(albino)
and something like 18-24 White tetras(aka albino black skirt tetras)
and maybe 1 or 2 trap door snails, hows that sound to you guys.

i willing to lose the snails, but i want the pleco and atleast 18 of the white tetra, actually i would love to go over 24, but i think thats over the limit there.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
18 is still too many, IMO. With a smaller bodied fish like the rasboras or neons, that will be fine, but the skited tetras still get to be a 2-3 inch fish, and will be crowded in a 55.

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
than how many would u say to go with, if its under 8 than im just going to scrap the whole idea.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
10-12 should be okay. Keep in mind, you're stocking for the adult size of the fish, and a 2-3 inch skirt is a heavy bodied fish for it's size.

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
okay cool thanx alot, im going to go with a dozen cause i have to order by groups of 3.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
With that kind of bioload, I would seriously considering supplementing your current filtration with another canister (like another 2213 or a 2211). Cover both canisters with a prefilter, and keep the canisters completely dedicated to biofiltration. Clean the prefilters out once a week (ie. whenever you do a water change), and those prefilters should be more than enough to preform your tank's mechanical filtration.

HTH
-Richer

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
okay thats cool, i kinda like the idea of a double filter system.

but would just upgrading the size, have the same effect?

cause eheims arent the cheapest filter around, im willing to spend the money on a double system, but if a larger filter would have the same effect i would rather just do that, because of both starting cost and long run cost, but as i said im willing to do it either way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store