10 gal Vivarium Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Hello.

I haven't been on in a while, mainly because I got rid of all my tanks recently. School's gotten more serious, and I don't have the money nor the time to keep up a large aquarium.

However, I would like to set up a small 10 gallon vivarium using old supplies from my hermit crab tank.

I have my eyes set on a single male green anole. I would be using fake plants to minimize upkeep requirements. It's a ten gallon, so it's not all that tall, so to give the tank more height I'll be using a very small sand/coco husk bed, less than 2". I've got a good amount of fake plants, I've got old driftwood, I've got climbing vines.

So I have a few questions, since I am relatively new to terrestrial pets, having only kept fire belly toads, hermit crabs, and whatever frogs and toads I was able to scrape up from ponds around my house as a kid.

Questions-

1) I was planning on a glass top to keep humidity more stable since I lack real plants. Will this work? And if I do this, how will I be able to use a UVB bulb? I've heard they won't work through glass, and i don't want or see how I could use it in the tank, without taking up a lot of space or burning the lizard.

2) Drainage won't be a problem, will it? I won't be using real plants, or a misting or drip system. I've got myself a spray bottle for that.

3) Is the substrate too shallow?

4) Is a green anole a good choice? I know what to do/not do, but I just want to make sure.

I will be using a UV bulb, a small undertank heat pad, and an incandescent desk lamp as a basking spot. I won't use a water dish, as I've heard that anoles won't drink from it. I'll be feeding mainly dusted crickets. If anything else comes to mind, I'll ask/tell. If you think of anything else, please do the same.

Thanks for the help,

Spencer

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store