Heater Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
My heater seems to be acting up. So I am going to grab a new one tomorrow. It's for a 30 gal reef. Any recommendations in wattage and brand? Thanks...

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Never had a problem with my aqua one heaters, and they are reasonably priced. The wattage depends on where you live and how cold it gets at your place but a 150W would be plenty.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Rena makes a good heater if you can find one. Jager is good as are the ViaAqua titaniums. I heard of some problems with the Cobalts early on but they appear to have corrected those issues with the newer units. Cobalt is a good company and would recommend their equipment.

Completely agree with using a controller with any heater if you can as a fail-safe.

Size wise, don't fall for the wattage requirements on the back. If you keep your room temp around 72ish degrees, you are only looking at a 6 to 8 degree difference from where you want your tank to be at. Unless you live in a cold climate and don't run your heat, there should be no need for anything greater than a 150W heater.

johnnyriker

AC Members
Jul 25, 2014
For wattage you would not need more than 50 watts to warm a 30 gallon to proper temperatures unless you live in really cold temperatures somewhere. The other thing is an overpowered heater can cause issues with the livestock not being able to adjust temperature as quickly and safely.

johnny

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store