Advice on starting new 45 gal freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
As you can see from the pics, I've pretty well gotten the tank setup. Just waiting for the tank to run through the cycle. Its been cycling for a week, and is still very low in ammonia so I finally got smart and moved my filter media from my 10 gal to this one, to give it a kick.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 3 glofish tetra (they were my first fish, thought they looked cool), a dwarf gourami, two cory cats, and two clown plecos. Unfortunately I didn't find out that corys need a sand substrate until it was too late.

All of the fish listed above are making the move to the 45 gallon when its ready. But... what would make good tank mates for these guys? I've thought about one or two blue ram cichlids or Bolivian ram cichlids, possibly some zebra danios, and maybe some neon tetra. Anymore than that and I'm worried I'll overstock the tank. But are these guys compatible?

I've had my 10 gallon for two years but I'd hardly call myself experienced. So I thought I could use some advice.

My setup consists of:
-45 gallon glass tank
-Aqueon 200 watt heater
-Aqueon 55/75 Quietflow filter
-Tetra Whisper 60 gallon air pump
-Lighting is not LED, it came with the tank, haven't upgraded yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1402984719913.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1402984788171.jpg

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Are you considering live plants? Otherwise there would be no need for LED. Looks good, though. You might want to get a thermometer, unless your heater comes with one. I can't remember if they usually do. A knob for setting your heater to different temperatures doesn't accurately reflect actual water temperature, just what the heater is producing. Especially with those package heaters that come with the tank, they are never reliable. I had one that thought the tank temp was 82 when it had actually been slowly rising to a temp of 98. That could kill your fish. If you are going to get a thermometer, get a digital model. Do not get a mercury thermometer because if you crack that, all your fish are dead. Your tank is slightly overfiltered, which is good. Airpump systems always help, and your tank looks suitable for all the fish you considered. The gravel shouldn't be too big of a deal for the cories. Although there might be competition between your corys and plecos for the same tank areas. I would get more corys, as they are highly social fish. Other than that, the stocking isn't overstocked. Good luck!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Some floating plants would add live plant benefits, and be easiest to deal with. Plus the floaters would be much appreciated by the forest fish mentioned and under consideration.

I agree, increase the corys to at least six, more if you like them. You could easily have 12-15 here. While sand is better for corys, the gravel here is smooth so they should be OK. The Glofish should be increased too; this is a man-made form of the Zebra Danio, so a shoaling fish requiring a group. If you really like the fish, add another 5-6, or just the regular Zebra Danio.

Byron.

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
No live plants at the moment. I'm very skeptical about getting them because I dont know what's all involved with taking care of them. If I did get plants, they would probably be floating plants.

I do have a thermometer in the top right front of the tank, and it is mercury. I have considered going digital but haven't grabbed one yet. I may do that this weekend.

The corys and plecos get along just fine. The plecos like to hide in one of the artificial reefs I have in my 10 gallon. As long as the corys stay out of the reef, the plecos leave them alone.

I heard the rule of thumb for stocking is 1 inch of fully grown fish per gallon. I've been trying to abide by that since I haven't had enough experience to make my own judgement. So getting additional corys and tetra (aside from the ones I already have, and adding the ones I mentioned) wouldn't overstock the tank?

Also, the glofish I have are of similar size and shape to bleeding heart and skirt tetra, not the smaller neon tetra (they do make some like that though, I believe they are danios).

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I heard the rule of thumb for stocking is 1 inch of fully grown fish per gallon. I've been trying to abide by that since I haven't had enough experience to make my own judgement. So getting additional corys and tetra (aside from the ones I already have, and adding the ones I mentioned) wouldn't overstock the tank?
"Stocking" is not well understood by many. The sheer mass of the fish (which is what the inch per gallon guide is trying to deal with) is only one of several factors that affect the tank's biology when it comes to numbers of fish. When you are dealing with shoaling fish like corys, tetra, barbs, etc, the number of individual fish has an impact beyond sheer mass. At some point, the fewer fish in the group, the greater will be their impact on the tank's biology in other ways, whereas having more of the species can result in less impact. Fish that are not in the environment they "expect" will be under stress, and the greater the stress, the greater the fish's impact on the tank biologically. So in a given aquarium, all else being equal, having more of a species can be safer than having too few. So in your case, if you want your corys to be healthy, you must have a larger group. Same for the tetra. Scientific studies have now proven without question that too few fish of a shoaling species does cause problems for the fish, leading to aggression, or the opposite, or just a weakened immune system and premature death.

The inch of fish per gallon is a very rough guide at best, but it fails very quickly even when considering mass. A group of ten 1-inch fish may be fine in a 10g, but a 10-inch oscar is not.

Byron.

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
Wow, totally didn't know that about it effecting tank biology. I wasn't aware that corys were shoaling fish either. I guess I always thought of bottom feeders as loners for some reason.

Ok then. I'll get 4 more corys, that'll make 6. And I plan to get at least 3 more tetra to make 6 (I was planning on getting at least one more anyway).

Question. I have a green, yellow, and pink glofish tetra. I was planning to get a purple one. My wife loves the fact that we only have one of each, she named them all. So to prevent getting multiples of the same color (they are only available in 4 colors), do you think these guys would shoal with skirt tetra and the like? I mean, thats essentially what they are except that they've been genetically altered. If not, I could get additional glofish of the same color. I'd prefer for them to be healthy rather than die because of some stupid preference of ours.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Wow, totally didn't know that about it effecting tank biology. I wasn't aware that corys were shoaling fish either. I guess I always thought of bottom feeders as loners for some reason.

Ok then. I'll get 4 more corys, that'll make 6. And I plan to get at least 3 more tetra to make 6 (I was planning on getting at least one more anyway).

Question. I have a green, yellow, and pink glofish tetra. I was planning to get a purple one. My wife loves the fact that we only have one of each, she named them all. So to prevent getting multiples of the same color (they are only available in 4 colors), do you think these guys would shoal with skirt tetra and the like? I mean, thats essentially what they are except that they've been genetically altered. If not, I could get additional glofish of the same color. I'd prefer for them to be healthy rather than die because of some stupid preference of ours.

I have not myself tried this [I am in the group of aquarists who do not condone genetic modification of any fish], but I see no reason why the fish would not be happy together, since as you say they are the same species. B.

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
I may give it a shot then and see how they do. I just need to determine exactly what species of tetra they originated. The attached pic shows them.

Yeah, I could totally understand being against altering a fish in any way. We picked up these 3 guys as our first fish because we thought they looked neat. We didn't really take into consideration of why they look the way they do. Afterwards I researched and found out. But I suppose that being the damage is already done, the guys need a home. I still plan to pick up a purple and be done with glofish.

One last question, I think. Are rainbow cichlids good in a community tank? The reason why I ask is I told the local fish store I would like some peaceful cichlids, like the bolivian ram or blue ram. And the girl recommended getting a rainbow as well. Everywhere I've looked, the rainbow is listed as semi-aggressive. Of course, so is my gourami, but he is good most of the time.

Btw, thanks for all of the info Byron. I really appreciate your help.

uploadfromtaptalk1403133880415.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
One last question, I think. Are rainbow cichlids good in a community tank? The reason why I ask is I told the local fish store I would like some peaceful cichlids, like the bolivian ram or blue ram. And the girl recommended getting a rainbow as well. Everywhere I've looked, the rainbow is listed as semi-aggressive. Of course, so is my gourami, but he is good most of the time.

Btw, thanks for all of the info Byron. I really appreciate your help.
You're most welcome. I've not kept the Rainbow cichlid, by which I assume we are talking about Herotilapia multispinosa from Central America, but I understand it is relatively peaceful for a cichlid, so presumably close to the two rams in temperament. It can attain 7 inches, though apparently closer to 4-5 is more normal in an aquarium. This is still a decent sized fish, but one that is said to be normally OK with the more robust tetra. BTW, those pictured Glofish are genetically modified Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, the Black Widow or Black Skirt Tetra, which are quite robust for a characin. They can sometimes fin nip, so be careful if they are in with sedate fish like gourami or cichlids.

Byron.

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
Awesome, great to know. I'll give the rainbow some thought then. I suppose as long as it won't get big enough to swallow any danios or neon tetra then I'll be fine.

The tetra seem pretty well behaved. They like to chase each other and almost look like they are trying to nip each other. But in the time that I've had them and the gourami, I haven't noticed any nipped fins on any of them. I guess they're just playing. They never chase the gourami but gourami does chase them at times (sprinting at them and then breaking off, never furiously chasing them like he is trying to hurt them).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store