I Need Help Starting My Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
I have a 2.5 gallon tank, and I intend to have a small number of snails in it. So far I only have the gravel, tank, some amazon razor plants, and a green Buddha statue. I'm going to buy a filter for small aquariums off of amazon (Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter.) I also know that I need something to maintain the heat/cold, so I'm going to get something that heats and cools the tank while reading the temperature. Are there any other things I need as far as the tank goes?
As far as snails are concerned, I tried to buy one from PetSmart. Well, I did buy one, but it was probably dead when I bought it because it never came out. I put it in my tank with the intention of getting it set up shortly, it's only one snail, it can't possibly dirty up a tank too quickly, but oh my god, the stench that came out of there was awful. It had died probably due to the gross conditions it was living in at PetsMart. They had it in a little plastic bin. :tombstone:
Anyway, I also need help getting a few healthy snails for my little tank.

Deadcell

AC Members
Jun 17, 2014
I'm relatively new to the aquarium scene (been in it a little under 2 years).

But I'm pretty sure the tank cycle will apply to snails as well. I could be wrong, but it might be worth googling.

With any new tank, it must go through a cycle. This involves the build up of ammonia within the tank (occurs naturally or you can give it a boost with something like Nutrafin Cycle), bacteria grows to eliminate the ammonia. The ammonia is converted to nitrite, again, bacteria grows to eliminate the nitrite. Finally, the nitrite will convert to nitrate and the water can be changed out to eliminate some of it and get it in check.

Once this process is complete, its ready for fish, frogs, snails, whatever fits the environment.

Petsmart does not do a good job at tending to their fish, so you could be right about it already being dead. However, anyone who is new to the hobby needs to understand the cycle process, and research the fish/snails they intend to keep. This will help you create the environment they need to stay healthy. After all, remember that a tank is an ecosystem that must be carefully maintained.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
Thank you! I didn't even know that this cycle thing was involved, I'm so glad I asked. I found a really helpful website (fishforums.com) about the cycle. It says to leave all of the decor in there during the cycle. Now, all I need to do is get the stuff to measure ammonia and nitrite levels.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
To test for Ammonia and Nitrites I would suggest the API Freshwater Master Test Kit which is more accurate then using the test strips. The kit measures Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH, also comes with instructions and a color chart. You can get it on Amazon cheaper then from the store. If you want some nice healthy snails I'd suggest bobstropicalplants.com , where you can get any type of snail you like.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Once you're cycled, you can get some very nice snails any type at a reasonable price on Aquabid. You can also post in the classifieds here and likely get what you want. You may also want to consider so red cherry shrimp to go with the snails.

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
Thank you. :D I've checked them out, and I got some of their stuff. API seemed to be the most suggested on amazon. Also, bobstropicalplants is really great, I'll be looking out for snails to put in my tank on there.

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
Yeah! I've thought of putting some shrimp in with the snails. I realized that I need to get few other small fish at first since snails need other fish in the tank.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
A 2.5 gallon tank is a bit to small for most fish and I don't think snails really need fish. Snails feed on algae, left over foods, wafers and fresh veggies. Shrimps are like fish, they create waste and so do snails, the snail will eat the food left over from what is fed to the shrimp.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Generally speaking you would be more likely to be feeding the snail not the shrimp. Also the snail may have a higher bioload than you would expect.

If you want to add fish you could maybe look at some species of small rasbora like briggitae or mereh. You should be able to do a small school of 6 or so with little problem.

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
Okay, cool! Yeah, I didn't plan to put normal sized fish. The only reason I'm adding fish at all is that a guy at reef revolution told me that i needed fish in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store