Freshwater Tank Lighting (here I am with more newbie qestioning)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
I have a 2.5 gallon tank (only for snails.) What kind of lighting could I have for this tank preferably with a hood? I have yet to find any that would fit my tank. My tank is 6.5" x 12".

ThatCreepyKid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Real Name
Katie
Thank you. :] I've realized that there aren't hoods for tanks that small, so I'm making a custom top cover thing out of acrylic (like the flat glass one that comes with it) with holes to put the cords and tubes through. The clip on lights and such would work great with that set up. I just need to cover it so that my cats won't get in the tank.

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
Instead of acrylic, which will bow due to moisture, the styrex light defusers work great. They're 5 bucks for a 4x2 foot sheet. Use an acrylic knife on the smooth side to score it so you get clean breaks.
There's clear ones around, might be a bit harder to find though.
Here's a link if my comment made no sense.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
MilitantPotato the idea of the styrene is amazing! I didn't even think of that as a replacement for the crappy acrylic covers that came with my 3gals. :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store