Just starting out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mgm007

AC Members
Jun 21, 2014
Hi everyone. I've kept aquariums on and off for the past 20 years but I've never done anything more than the occasional live plant or 2. I have a 30 gallon tall that I'd really like to convert into a nice aquascape but my head is spinning from everything I've been reading on here. Can anyone suggest a good book that would help me get started?

In the mean time maybe just a few questions :grinno:

Since I'm just starting out I wanted to keep things pretty basic. I've looked at a ton of picture over the past few weeks and I really like the idea of going with a full carpet (either Eleocharis Parvula or Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba") with some stones and/or drift wood on some natural looking hills.

My main questions are about lighting and CO2 requirements with those plants. Right now I have a standard hood with a single full spectrum 15W T8 bulb. I assume that wouldn't be sufficient from what I've read. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what the best lighting options would be. The same goes for CO2 if that is going to be required. I have zero experience with CO2 or their systems so any help would be great.

From a general maintenance perspective what is required once the tank is up and running? I've read a lot about fertilizer dosing but I'm still unclear. What about water changes? I do a 20% change weekly now with no plants, 7 small fish and 2 shrimp and they all seem to be healthy and happy. I've had this current set up for almost 6 months.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Difficult to get "carpet" type plants with tall tanks. Most lights do not go deep enough. MH are an option, but expensive and gets hot.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree. You will need higher light, which means diffused CO2 and daily nutrient fertilizing to be really successful with most of the so-called "carpet" plants. But with less fuss (moderate light, no CO2, fertilizing once a week) you can still have a lovely planted tank. I like pygmy chain sword as a substrate plant; not a "lawn" effect, but it does spread rapidly once settled and is a few inches high so a very natural effect.

As for books, a very good one is Peter Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants which has a first section that details everything. Gets involved in places, but worth the cost. Planted tanks are variable depending upon what you want in the end, how much money and effort you want to spend, and the maintenance you want to have on-going.

Byron.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
When you first start out into planted tanks the information out there is overwhelming.

Some of the technical details that people go into is very heavy. Carpeting plants are not that hard. You just need to choose the right plant for your setup and care level.

The only way to really understand it is to read some of the expert sites. The barr report has a nice tutorial. Just give yourself a few weeks to read it and ask a lot of questions.

I am actually looking at redoing my 125 gallon tank. I have three tanks where I've tested out different substrate and carpeting plants under my conditions. My conditions are a bit tough as I've been traveling a lot these past few months. Dwarf sag, dwarf hair grass are both very eyes to grow so far.

mgm007

AC Members
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks for all the replies folks. The exact measurements of the tank are 25 (high) x 24 (wide) x 12 (deep). If I were to build up the bottom with the substrate a little bit (maybe 3-4 inches), do you think it would be possible get a nice carpet of one of the plants I mentioned above? Is the CO2 definitely required for carpet either way or is just going to speed up the process? I don't mind doing it if it will be a requirement.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
The tank is not really that tall. You don't need to build up the substrate provided you upgrade that light.

CO2 is not required for carpeting all carpeting plants it just make it easier. You can also add in flourish excel instead of CO2. It also takes less time to get the carpet to grow in with CO2.

mgm007

AC Members
Jun 21, 2014
Awesome, thanks V. I was looking around all day yesterday for inspiration that didn't have carpeting plants and I just kept coming back to the set ups with a nice carpet. Is the flourish excel equivalent to the CO2 as far as speed of growth or is it still slower? Can you recommend a good CO2 system in case I decide to go with that? What about a light recommendation? Should I go with LED?

mgm007

AC Members
Jun 21, 2014
Is the flourish excel equivalent to the CO2 as far as speed of growth or is it still slower?
Never mind that question. I did some research today and I understand the difference now. I'd still really appreciate your recommendations on a good light and CO2 system if I decide to go that route. Also, regarding the substrate, I was thinking of using this. Would that be sufficient or I also need additional additives? Or is there a better option I should consider?

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Eco Complete is okay, but doing a substrate of organic potting mix capped with sand or a small gravel (or even eco complete) is better as it has the nutrients in it already. Only downside to that though is that if you want to move around plants that really root into the substrate its going to be a bit of a process.

ADA Amazonia is also a great substrate with all the nutrients you need in it...but its pretty darn expensive. It is, however, worth the price imho.

mgm007

AC Members
Jun 21, 2014
Still hoping for some recommendations on the correct lighting for the tank. That's the only thing holding me up from getting started now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store