UPDATE ON MYSTERIOUS INFECTION RE: TO MELANISTIUS CORIES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hello All over a month ago I posted a blog about an infection that looked like fungus that appeared on two of my cories left fin. I started out treating with pimafix as directed but it did nothing so I did a good water change and used a new product by tetra called fungus guard. It took two treatments of this med to clear up the infection but it worked and it also treats other infections as well. Unfortunately one of the cories affected did not make it whatever this infection was it weakened the fish but it was effective on the other catfish it did look like a fungus of some type. I did a 50% water change today and all the other cories have not come down with this infection so it leaves me to believe that this was not columnaris. Thank god!

I did notice something though that has not gone away on the left barbell of one the cories. It could be nothing and none of the others have this it looks like a small raised white head. It is only on that barbell but not the other and has been there for over a month even with treating the tank and the cories seems unaffected. I don't know what this is and really don't want to medicate this QT again the fish is active and eats well and so do the others. They have been in QT for over a month med treatment was completed over a week ago. There is no substrate in the tank so nothing in this tank damaged the barbell. How much longer to keep them in QT before transferring them to my main tank and has anyone encountered a raised white spot on a barbell and what could this be if anything? Unfortunately when I bought these cories two were sick & I did not know it until they were already in the tank not sure if the infection happened in transit to the LFS or occurred in their store but am not going back there again. I have two more species of fish to QT after these cories go into the 36 gallon. Need some advise on how to proceed. I was sad to lose the corie but impressed that the med worked fairly well and the other one did well and the others did not get whatever this infection was. Now to figure out what is on the barbell of the other. Whatever it is it does not phase the fish one bit. As far as meds go I would recommend Fungus Guard it worked well in my opinion.:grinyes:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
No one has any idea what this raised white spot on a barbell could possibly be? My biggest question is how much longer to keep the catfish in QT it's been over a month the med treatment was over approx 2 weeks ago. I am thinking to keep them in QT a couple of more weeks atleast to make sure whatever this fungus was that it stays away. As far as the other corie I am stumped if no one here can answer as to what the white spot might be and how I should proceed my other option is to call Tetra in hopes they can direct me as to the right thing to do. The cories seem to be doing just fine and they are in nice clean water so as of right now no worries.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Post a photo of the white "bump" but it does not sound like anything I would be concerned about. As for the time in QT, follow the directions on the product you used, and no longer. Medications are stressful to fish and you don't want to prolong this unnecessarily.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
The meds are done am not medicating the tank anymore there hasn't been meds in the tank in over a week now. I will try to post a pic what I see on the barbell as soon as I can. Whatever it is it has not changed and has been there for over a month and the fish seems unaffected.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
SUCCESS FINALLY!!!!!

After 2 months in QT and for the most part successful treatment with Tetra Fungus guard tabs I had to treat the QT two times but it worked. My 5 cories 2 days ago have been acclimated and added to their new cycled 36 gallon corner bow home and are extremely happy. In the process of treating I did lose one of the sick cories but think she was sicker than the other corie because the treatment was successful in treating his left fin. I thought there was something on the barbell of one of the other cories but I think it is just the anatomy of the barbell it looked like a white head but it just might be the color of the barbell I am seeing because nothing has changed it has been there for the past two months and does not affect the cory so am thinking it's nothing which I am happy about.

I learned one important lesson for one am not going back to the store that sold me not just one but two sick cories and before I leave the fish store wherever I choose to go if I need to purchase fish need to be more careful & check the fish in the bag first before I leave the store I am just too trusting sometimes.There is nothing more aggravating then buying fish that you look forward to getting put them in your otherwise healthy QT only to look and you see two of your new cories with this nasty fungus on their left fins both cories had it in the same spot but one had it worse then the other and your other two fish who are seemingly healthy a rasbora and a golden danio that you also purchased and added to your QT you now have to treat along with the other 4 cories in the tank so that they don't catch whatever the other two cories have.:swear: Then in the process of treatment you end up losing the very sick corie, the golden danio and the rasbora. I was not at all too happy. The one good thing that did happen I cured the other affected corie and the other cories did not come down with the fungus. I can be thankful that it was not columnaris. The cories are doing well and I am very excited because I only have 8 more fish that are healthy and in QT that in one more month can hopefully be acclimated and added to my 36 gallon and I will be totally restocked and can enjoy my beautiful aquarium.:woot:Tetra Fungus guard is a new product that treats fungus and a bunch of other secondary infections I loved the product and what's even better is that it does not destroy the biological filter media during treatment but the tabs do color your water green but it did not stain my tank but if you have gravel or fake silk or plastic plants in your tank it might. I keep my QT bare bottom no gravel or plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store