Alone as a young hobbyist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Okay, so I'm a teen in highschool, and I feel like I'm the only girl (well I don't know any fish guys either) I know who is into fish! Seriously! Like my friends are always asking me, "why are you talking about fish?" Uh, cause they're my hobby! My bf who I just broke up with would frequently get pissed at me for looking at my tanks while I was with him! Its not like I wasn't paying attention to him or anything, just observing and trying to share them with him... but whatever, anyway, is there anyone else out there who is young (not saying ya'll are old or anything) and still interested in fish? I seriously need someone to talk to who is as excited about them as I am, but maybe not forty something years old. Not that I don't appreciate your feedback and everything, its just that we're on different levels. And I was thinking about trying to start up a fish club in my school, but not sure if anyone would join, cause I kinda doubt anyone has fish... haha, its like my weird habit, some people are book worms, some people secretly write poetry (which is cool, so not dissing the poets), some are athletes in musicals (or does that only happen in High School Musical?), and then there's me, the fish person. Yay me! Lol, so what do you think?

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I don't think you are alone here. We've had many young fish keeping enthusiasts join throughout the years, whether they are still active on the site I do not know. I am in my late twenties now and am still the only person in my group of friends that enjoys the hobby, doesn't bother me a bit. However, I've met some pretty awesome like minded people from this site that have become some of my dearest pals and am able to share and get feedback from them whenever needed. I hope you are able to find the same!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Thanks Juice! I love your avatar :) Its not so much that I'm bothered by it, like I don't feel weird for liking fish or anything, I actually feel elite for it, I just want someone else to converse with them about :p Haha, but thanks for the reply and I suppose I'll just keep looking then!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I'm in my early 20s and I share the same problem as you. I'm just glad that my fiancee is lienant with me and my hobby, he has a goldfish tank of his own, but I won't touch it x.x I only get to fish nerd out with people online or people that are in my local fish club, but everyone there is 30+ so yeah lol

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I just graduated high school, and I ran into the same problem. My ex and most of my friends thought it was pretty cool, but most people could care less. I became a lot happier when I started moving away from trying to convert all my friends into hobbyists and just started appreciating them for how they were already. I know it goes against the special snowflake mentality that most people like to have, but one of the best decisions you can make in high school is to blend in more and stop flaunting your differences. I still keep fish and love to do so, but by not letting it take over my whole life and personality I made a lot more friends and had a much better time in high school. Maybe your school's different, but youre really best off focusing more on "regular" activities and what not at school, and then taking care of your tanks at home.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
regarding fish clubs in schools.....

http://www.reefconservationsociety.org/schools.html

It's very north-central PA centric, just because of where it came from and was originally just a part of a PA club, but something pretty interesting and may provide some ideas (and possible help for organization and donations etc)

as for friends not sharing the hobby, it's like any other hobby, some people will like it, some not so much. Finding people who enjoy the hobby will likely be easier outside your normal group of friends unless people enjoy it already. It's just the same for us older folks who have to deal with the same sort of thing but at work and not school.

Most of the people I know who keep fish, I've met through AC or local fish clubs.. But I have sparked up conversations with people because of shirts I have bleen wearing, either from a fish club, a convention or some sort of promotional shirt from a manufacturer.

but above all else, just relax.. and try not to let your hobby become an obsession.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I work at a huge highschool, 4300 students. We have no fish club. That doesn't mean there aren't teenagers who do love keeping fish though.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Lol, its always been all me... and I've had tanks since I was six! Haha, but yeah, at least theres the colorado aquarium society! Hey does anyone know if there are betta shows in colorado and have any info. regarding them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store