What size CO2 Cylinder will I need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hi all,

Been searching everywhere but can't find any info. I'm going to add CO2 to my 130 gallon tank and my 72 gallon Bow tank. What size cylinder should I use? 5, 10, or 20 lb?

I'm guessing 10?

Also, how many bubbles per minute is appropriate for good plant growth?

last question... is there any risk of suffocating my fish? I'm nervous about this. I had a bizarre situation when I moved my tank 6 weeks ago (it wasn't a cycling issue) where I lost a bunch of fish, I'm assuming because for some reason there was a lack of oxygen. Tank was lightly stocked at the time, and I had a new Fluxal X5 on the tank so there was plenty of water flow. However, I didn't have an airstone running. I immediately did a water change thinking it was an ammonia spike or nitrite issue from moving, but the parameters checked out fine. I added air thinking that was the problem somehow, and it must have been because I never again I had a problem...

I also changed water sources being that I moved to a new town so maybe something was going on there but I don't know. It was classic panting and surface breathing... so tells me there was a lack of oxygen somehow.

Anyhow, I know the plants will give off oxygen, just makes me nervous based on what happened. I plan on running CO2 during the day, shutting it off at night and running O2 at night.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Geez, I've been told go BIG or go home...it's almost the same cost to refill a #20 as other smaller CO2 tanks. Good luck with your cichlid tank, I'm not sure I'd bother with CO2 in that 1.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
I run co2 into a 75 and a 10 gallon, and because its one regulator with two needle valves I go through a 20lb tank in about 6 months.

Its about the same cost wise to swap/fill a 20lb tank as it is a 10, so I'd go for the 20 because seriously bigger is better with co2.

You're going to run through a LOT of co2 with the 130 alone, to the point where it might be worth considering having both tanks on their own regulators with their own tanks. Especially if you are blasting both with light and ferts, you're co2 is going to have to be high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store