With an Oscar: Severums or Geophagus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I've got a 180g tank that currently has only a small leopard cactus pleco, three silver dollars, six pictus cats, and two nocturnal bumblebee jelly cats. Pretty much empty for a 180.

I'd like to keep a tiger oscar in there, starting out young. Wondering if a couple of severums or a few Geophagus would make better tankmates. I'm new to cichlids but not to freshwater. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not familiar with the catfish and pleco you have, but 12 other fish and one oscar would probably be close to max for a 180g.

Maybe a single O and one Sev max on top of what you've got.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Ok--let's say I move the SDs and the pictus to my big community tank. Pleco too. Then it's just an Oscar and a couple of 4" catfishes.

Any reasons to choose between a pair of severums or say four or five geos? I try not to go by looks alone. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not a huge silver dollar fan, but O keepers like them as a 'clean-up' crew, given how messy O's tend to eat. IMO, a group of SD's, a severum and an O would be great for a 180g.

kyhokie

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Id go with severums bc of their size and activity level, but either would be ok. Also, the geos will tear up the substrate.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I love my severum as much as my oscar. Lots of personality, plus tough and feisty enough to live with an O, which isn't an easy task.

Thinking about the Silver dollar thing for the 180g... A group of them should tame some of the aggression the O will have towards the Sev. The O will get pooped just monitoring the cloud of SDs.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Cool. There is a very nice 4" red-spotted severum at my LFS. Just one, though. Along with the group of SDs and the juvie oscar, does it make sense to do one severum or two?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The single Sev along with the O and SD group sounds IDEAL to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store