planted 20 long setup video--turned build log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

check out my 20 long i just set up. i put a lot of time and effort into both the tank and the video.

let me know what you think!

[video=youtube;oE9lFVbXBcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE9lFVbXBcE[/video]

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I really like the green tubes. LOL now that you are really reading this, I love it! I like the simple layout, the character the rocks have, and the choice of flora!

I can't wait for it to grow out so we can appreciate your hard work a little more.

I have to ask a few questions, light?, fauna? (just curious what gets such a nice home), and what kind of rock is that? (looks kind of like maple leaf rock)

Good work Sean, dont forget to follow up with pics later, please.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks great!

..and good to see the very comforting Eheim classic green tubing in there too.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Wow, nice video. Your patience and meticulous attention to detail really shows. Is that substrate Tahitian Moon sand?
I second Fish bone's request for updated pics as the tank progresses.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
I really like the green tubes. LOL now that you are really reading this, I love it! I like the simple layout, the character the rocks have, and the choice of flora!

I can't wait for it to grow out so we can appreciate your hard work a little more.

I have to ask a few questions, light?, fauna? (just curious what gets such a nice home), and what kind of rock is that? (looks kind of like maple leaf rock)

Good work Sean, dont forget to follow up with pics later, please.
Thanks for the kind words! I put a lot of thought and effort into the tank, i think it came together nicely. The light is a Beamswork something or another LED light i got for $50, ill link you to my unboxing video. As for the lucky ducks that get to live in this tank, im going to be getting a school of Ember tetras, probably around 20 of those guys, 5-8 Ottos, 5 or so pigmy cory cats once the carpet is mature enough to take a beating from bottom dwellers and finally a colony of Crystal red shrimp once the initial 3 month roller coaster of water changes is finished and im able to get everything super consistent and stable. The rock is Seiryu stone, any good LFS geared towards planted tanks will have this stone in stock, but its expensive, around $5/lb a stone, some people charge up to $10/lb online. i was fortunate enough to find an importer direct from japan and i bought all that you see in the video for $.80/lb here right down the street in SoCal.

To stay up to date on this tank be sure to subscribe to me on youtube!

unboxing of the light i used

[video=youtube;mvtqAcqNAvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvtqAcqNAvE[/video]

Looks great!

..and good to see the very comforting Eheim classic green tubing in there too.
yup, on TPT.net i asked what the most quiet filter for this tank would be and it was an almoust unanimus " Eheim 2213 ", so i did as i was told and got it, couldnt be happier with it. i like the spray bar, ill probably end up taking it out and painting it black.

Wow, nice video. Your patience and meticulous attention to detail really shows. Is that substrate Tahitian Moon sand?
I second Fish bone's request for updated pics as the tank progresses.

Thanks for the kind words! the substrate is actually 3 layers of very common off the shelf substrate. The base is florite to get the elevation in the middle, the large grains will ensure proper water flow through the deepest part and prevent any anaerobic conditions and gas build up, on top of that is medium floramax and the cap is fine grade eco-complete that i sifted to get all the big particles out.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I also have an Eheim 2013 running on my 20 gallon long. It's not powerful but man is it quiet and reliable. I like your choice of very tiny fish so as not to disturb that delicate upper substrate or create unsightly waste that needs aggressive vacuuming.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
First update picture.

Day 5

Ive done two 50% water changes and have started to seed it with bio material from my other tanks to get it cycled quickly so i can get an algae eating crew in there asap. Zero signs of algae at this point, im only running a 5 hour photoperiod, with the Co2 Cranked to around 5bps, that turns the drop checker a very vibrant yellow, no doubt it would be lethal to fish, Taking advantage of the fact that there arent any fish yet.

Looks like all 3 plant species have new growth, and the S Repens and AR Mini that were grown emersed arent showing any signs of stress being in a submersed environment, yet.

thanks for looking!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Looks like a good start, Sean. Keep the updates comin'!

Mark

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Hey bro!

The tank looks great! Nice work on the video too! Everything looks like it's moving along nicely. I can't wait to see a video of fins moving around in there! You know I'm going to hit you up for some of that AR mini right? Haha..Hey, aren't bro's supposed to mooch off of each other? LOL. Nice work, give me a call soon so we can catch up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store