Can these be housed together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bjbrit

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2014
My daughter asked for an aquarium for her birthday, and we are currently in the cycling process. She will pick out her first 3 fish (most likely mollies, guppies, tetras or danios) on her actual birthday, July 23rd. She recently saw a Hammers Blue Lobster that she desperately wants. My question is, can that be housed with a bristlenose pleco? I know that the lobster can be aggressive to slow fish or bottom swimmers, and worry that it may kill a pleco. BTW, we have a 36 gallon tank.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd not put any bottom dwelling fish in with the lobster. It will eat whatever it encounters if it can catch it.
I think fast swimming Danios or other upper level fish would be ok.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree, but will go one further and say that crustaceans (lobsters, crayfish, crabs) should not be housed with any fish, according to the sources I've read.

kyhokie

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Crayfish hunt at night and all fish, regardless of where they swim, sleep on the bottom of the tank. The Crayfish will eventually catch and eat everything in the tank.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Now Kyhokie, that is not accurate. Like bettas and cichlids, crayfish all have their own personalities and not all are ruthless night stalkers. I'd say a dwarf cray with a pleco would be fine, but a full size cray fish even an alleni could potentially injure or kill the fish. I do not suggest putting a Hammers Blue Lobster - What even in the He%# that is in a 36gal with the bottom dweller.

Here is the education part - First, several breeds of crayfish are much less aggressive than others. I have a large number or Marmorkribs, marble, crayfish. All of mine live with fish. I have several individuals that live in tanks with corys and never bother them. These are just different individuals. I have some of their siblings who would attempt to eat the corys until successful, so they live in deep tanks with fast moving fish. It really just depends on the individual and availability of food. I find those that are fed, not scavengering, don't bother the fish. Crayfish are shy and lazy by nature so an easy meal is a good meal. Additionally, some large crayfish such as Cherax have such large claws they can't move fast enought to catch a fish if their life depended on it. They look scary, but they are not much in the threat department. Clarkii are the most common Blue or White crayfish and are a very aggressive breed. They are not really good community tank candidates and don't even tolerate each other.

Next, there are no freshwater lobsters! These crayfish have names and the pet industry should use them so people know what they are getting. A Blue Lobster can be anything from a Alleni to a Cherax Destructor or Red Claw Cherax almost 12" in size. If they can't tell you what it is don't buy it. Also, crayfish really need to be fed. They are great clean up guys in the tank, but need a dedicated food source. Mine eat peas and cut up fish. Marble crayfish turn blue when you feed them real fish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I've seen yabbies and Australian Blue Claws, both freshwater prawns, sold as blue lobsters in the lfs. I kept a blue claw for a while in a 55 gal and found it to be an effective predator. It molted many times as it grew and got to a respectable size, 9" or 10", and had very large claws.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Crayfish hunt at night and all fish, regardless of where they swim, sleep on the bottom of the tank. The Crayfish will eventually catch and eat everything in the tank.
This is an incorrect statement. There are many species that don't go to the bottom at night; cyprichromis leptosoma among them.

Mark

Last edited:

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I am a crayfish fan and have never had issues with them. I read a lot of negative stuff, but I've never observed any of the issues people fear. You obviously can't keep them with live plants and bottom dwellers, but other than that they are fine and make the tank interesting. To anyone raeding this just stay away from Clarkii if you want to house them with fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store