Best Smooth Large Pebbles for a Goldfish Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mariak319

Maria
Jul 1, 2014
Michigan
Hi guys,

I have a goldfish who is almost a foot long and I bought him a 50 gallon tank. I plan to get driftwood and some live plants and a heater and a good filtering system. However, I just do not know what to get my goldfish for substrate. I've looked at other posts and I've seen that it's pretty much 60% sand and 40% bare/gravel/other. I would love to get whatever is best for my fish and not just for me, so I have decided not to buy average-sized (pea-sized) gravel because my goldfish's mouth is way bigger than the gravel and he may have already got a gravel piece stuck in him. As for sand, I really do not want to get it because I am afraid of it messing up my propeller in my new filter. So I think I want to get large pebbles (nickel-sized or so) so that he doesn't choke.

Do any of you know the best kind of large pebbles/stones that I can get online or in the store? It's really hard to find some that are meant for aquariums. If you really suggest sand, let me know what I can do to make sure that the propeller won't get messed up (I had it break on me before due to sand). Thanks! Also, as a side note, do you know where I can get long tubing for a gravel vac? It's one of the bigger ones, I can provide more info later.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
pet stores seem to carry aquarium gravel.. small pea sized I usually get the natural 'river' gravel.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I would suggest going to a landscaping business and buy Mexican beach pebble rock. Typically its 2-3" and pretty flat in shape.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I believe goldfish will chew though your live plants like a lawnmower. Not sure I'd go that route. I'd keep it real simple with no obstacles for a single big comet in a ~50g tank.

If you raise your filter intakes or throw sponges over the intakes, sand won't be an issue. I think goldfish would prefer something to be able to sift through through their gills, but regular aquarium gravel would be fine too.

I've used pea gravel from Lowes or Home Depot in the past. Looks nice and natural, but it's larger pebbles. Not great for fish that like to root around in the substrate. I've also used "marble chips" from Lowes. It's too white and dirties up quick.

Petsmart/co have a real nice tiny pebble natural stuff. Most LFS carry it too.

mariak319

Maria
Jul 1, 2014
Michigan
Thanks! I'm just really worried about both gravel and sand. I've read articles and feedback where goldfish get pebbles stuck but so far I've used pebbles from Meijers and my fish seems okay. I didn't even think of a landscaping place but yeah I'll check more into this.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the main thing is making sure the pebbles are roundish and real smooth if you go that route. That way they're less apt to get stuck in the fish. The $3 for ~50lbs home improvement store pea gravel and such is not particularly small, round or smooth.

Like suggested above, go the happy medium route w/ pet/fish store natural gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store