Ideas for a 125 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mark_Lide

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Long time no post. I'm about burnt out on cichlids and would like some input on what I should keep next. I was playing with the idea of keeping some bass and brim in my tank but I know they will be messy. Also thought about filling it with an a$& load of small tropical fish but can't make up my mind. Any info or suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I did my 125 as a river tank for hillstreams and gobies a year or two back. I'm thinkin' about goin' native with it. I've been seein' some beautiful wild sailfin mollies, pupfish and pigmy perch lately with all the rain. Gotta get rid of current inhabitants first.

Mark

Mark_Lide

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I've thought about the whole river idea, I've got enough PVC and power heads to make it happen but still undecided. I also have some fish in my tank to rehome before I do anything

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If I were setting up a 125 for freshwater I would either do Discus or as you said a bunch of small tropicals and it would be planted, I think a big tank with lots of small fish could be pretty interesting. Other randoms for that size tank i might consider, datnoids, fahaka puffer, BGK.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
definitely planted with some nice roots/wood, a couple of big schools of little fish plus a school of a bottom crew (cories, loaches, etc) plus a few "stars" (festivums, Aequidens ,gouramis etc.)

You could do South American with tetras, cories and the above mentioned cichlids OR SE Asia with rasboras, barbs, dainos, loaches and gouramis. You could probably do a west African tank too with riverine kribs, riverine synodontis and various African tetras (ie congo)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What about some Rainbow fish? That size tank would be awesome for some of the larger bodied sizes.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
A 125 would make a great rainbow tank. It'd also hold a decent-sized school of Congo tetras.

When I had discus in my 125, I had 3 schools of different schoolies; 25 green fire tetras, 20 rasbora hets and 30 cardinal tetras. The three schools moving independently made quite a sight.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store