Dirt Tank Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantokeeptrout

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Oakville
I'm making a 75 i own into a low tech dirted tank. This will be my first attempt at a dirted tank and I'd like some advice on how to make this plan work.

lighting is a marineland 6500k t12, no CO2 system

dirt is rinsed (dechlorinated water) organic potting soil, going for approximately 1 inch layer

planning to cover dirt with approximately 0.5-1 inch of sand and fine gravel

filtration is an aquaclear 110 and aquaclear 70

plants will all be relatively low maitenance, eg java fern, crypts etc...

water ph is between approx 7.8

stock plan is various rainbowfish

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I would ask if the lighting is sufficient. T12 is old. May have to change the bulb(s).

One thing I didn't do but wish I had is putting enough water in the tank to wet the potting soil, compress it somewhat to try and avoid air bubbles, then if necessary spray the surface so it is nice and wet and then cover with sand. I might even go 1-1/2" for soil and sand each as your tank/plants could probably use it.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Make sure there are plenty of fast growers and floaters to begin with, until the crypts and such really take hold. Need something to soak up all those excess nutrients.

wantokeeptrout

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Oakville
Thanks for all the advice, heres a quick update, changed up the setup a little

dirt layer is 0.5 inches instead of 1 inch bag was little smaller than i though, still 1 inch of sand/gravel over the dirt

got a t-8 6700k light-glo bulb to replace the old t-12

filtration was bumped up to 2 aquaclear 110s

all set with the decor and substrate, just need to add water.

Should i add the plants as soon as i add the water or let the tank run bare for a little while first?

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
You can put the plants in right away. If you plant a lot of fast-growing stem plants, they will consume pretty much all of the ammonia so you can also put some fish in. (See "Silent Cycle")

However, conditions in the tank must be suitable for growth. The light may have to be increased to 2 T8s - post your tank's length, width, and especially height, in inches so we try to make a determination. Also, how long is the bulb?. I would also use "Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium". It is micronutrients. I'm about to start using it on my current tank. I'm thinking in terms of a half-dose per week with a 30% water change once a week.

As an aside, I would not have reduced the height of the dirt, but I don't know what you can do about it now. It will still support the plants' growth.

Last edited:

wantokeeptrout

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Oakville
thanks for the reply, the tank is a standard 75. 48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high, I'm not planning on stocking any particularly difficult or light demanding plants, also the lighting is a single t8 right now. The light fixture streaches the entire 48 inch length of the tank

*edit sry i misread your earlier post, i thought you assumed the tank had 2 bulbs, my bad

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I had 1 T8 when I started my 10 gallon tank and it just wasn't bright enough (@11" depth). Then I got 2 10W CFLs on the top and I had plenty of problems with algae and the plants probably using up all available nutrients and then not growing. It's a tricky business to try and estimate how much light you will need. Probably best to get the information from a lighting guru or someone who has a 75 gallon tank. Personally, it seems to me that even 2 T8s wouldn't be enough light. I'm used to thinking in terms of a 10 gallon, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store