Healthy plants with leaves that turn brown. What is it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I know I've started a thread like this before, but I cannot find the source of my problem with new leaves turning brown after a little while. The plants are healthy and put out nice new bright green growth all the time. There is no apparent "algae or beard moss" and I have two SAE's that keep the aquarium clean. I do weekly 50% water changes, feed sparingly, have 2 LED light strips and use Seachem flourish. I have hard water. Could it be iron or other minerals in the hard water?
Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate .5, no chlorine, PH 7.5, Hardness 250. Temp is a steady 78 degrees.

A LFS guy told me it was "slime". I'm assuming it's a type of algae? It doesn't rub off the leaves though. I have anubias nana, anubias barteri, java fern, Criptocoryne, vals, fern, and anacharis. The Anacharis seem the least affected. But all the other plants have the same problem.

What is it and how can I fix it.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Perhaps it's "sludge"? I found a product from Dr.Tim's Aquatics called Waste-Away that breaks down this type of stuff. My question is, will it work on dissolving the brown stuff on my plants? If it isn't sludge that's turning my plants brown then I guess it could't hurt as long as it doesn't change the PH of my water. Any help, suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post, that I only leave the lights on in my tank about 6-7 hours a day.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Need to see the "brown" stuff. Can you post a pic??

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes, we need a photo, two if possible; one more of a panorama showing the setting, and a close up that is still clear.

It is always possible, but sludge or detritus would not be likely as this would easily come off. So don't go adding more "stuff" to the water. While Dr. Tim is very knowledgeable I see no reason for anyone to be using a product that removes sludge; this is the task handled by the plants, bacteria, filter and regular water changes.

I am suspecting a type of brush algae, but photos will confirm.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store