Happy Neon Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
I've got some happy neons in my tank & they've literally been doing the spawning thing for almost 2 weeks on/off. I've read it's hard to breed them & light kills the eggs, but how often are they supposed to be laying their eggs for? They love rubbing up against my marimos & laying eggs all over them!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I never understood that "light kills the eggs" thing....how the heck did they ever breed in the wild if that were the case??? And they must breed fairly enthusiastically considering that you can get them for nearly nothing in any fish store anywhere.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I never understood that "light kills the eggs" thing....how the heck did they ever breed in the wild if that were the case??? And they must breed fairly enthusiastically considering that you can get them for nearly nothing in any fish store anywhere.
They come from blackwater where there is a lot less light penetration... and they are prolific in the right type of environment.

As for how long they should lay eggs for, I'm not sure, but I'd imagine for as long as they are happy and healthy...

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
I didn't understand the light kills the eggs thing either, until I read the black water info... Thanks qwe123! As of this morning, they're still dropping eggs all over my marimos. As long as they're happy, my shrimp & snails get caviar!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store