question about lighting (FOWLR now, but want to go reef)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loyalty

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
hey everyone,
My 30 gallon tank is through cycling, and before I even get any livestock (well, I have a snail) I want to address the lighting. Since it's a small tank, I want to keep it simple and only get a few clownfish and the obligatory cleaning crew. I do want to get a few soft corals and maybe even some marine plants to add some color to my otherwise drab tank, and thats where the lighting comes in.

I currently have the cheapo single strip fluorescent that came with the hood. From my research, VHO lighting sounds like the best way to go, but what exactly is VHO?

I plan to build a simple canopy, and I'm trying to figure out how to address the light situation (and mount some moonlights:D )

any help is much appreciated

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
VHO=very high output fluorescents. Requires a new ballast, which you can install into the canopy, along with a reflector (or mirror). In a small tank, I'd probably go with the power compacts instead--they don't put out as much heat as VHO, and the bulbs last a big longer. Check out Hellolights.com for more, and prices.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Those will work--which one were you thinking of getting? I prefer the doubles, since then you can have one daylight and one actinic. I don't like the 50/50 bulbs as much, so the single strip wouldn't be my choice.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most LFS sell them, but it will probably be much more expensive than you can find them online--about double for me, locally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store