Tetra Whisper 3i Hacks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Trying to do some research on something better than the filters Tetra's selling for the 3i. Some sites are saying Fluval sponges cut to size... Anyone ever add some biomax? Would love to hear comments on a good hack!

Last edited:

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
I was thinking the same thing today about our Whisper 40i. Haven't tried anything yet...

Following with interest!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm not sure I would refer to this as a 'hack'

more a DYI/mod... many filters can be modified or customized for filtration.. the ones with baskets are easier to do a 'mod' on.

the whispers use vertical cartridges.
mods using bio media like rings etc may require a bit more ingenuity. cutting filter sponges can work as does using filter floss.

depends on what drives the water flow...some are air flow others use motors..Tho I believe the 3i uses air which can limit the media..I've used sponges for many HOB's and internal filters.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I believe the 3i uses an impeller pump. I'm not sure how the unfiltered water flows across the back of the cartridge, but this is the limiting factor on cartridge style filters. There's little/no room on either side of the cartridge, so if you fill the whole area with floss, sponge, etc instead of the cartridge, you severely limit the area that gets hit with big chunks of waste material, thus causing it to clog and slow flow much quicker than the factory setup.

Another option is strip a spent cartridge down to the plastic frame and re-wrap with your own material.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store