Stocking a 55gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChaosBlizzard

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
Visit site
I am going to be stocking my 55 gallon freshwater tank soon. I want to add tropical type fish, things with lots of color. I was thinking about adding some clown loaches and some Cichilids if I can get them at my local pet store. Any suggestions?

Other info:
My filter is a Magnum 350 Canister filter.

Thanks,
Chaos

Ken

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
My suggestion is New World livebearers:

Mollies, platies, guppies, swordtails

They will be colorful and peaceful and active, they will have babies, and they are easy to care for.

Keep them in one male-to-two or three female ratios if you want fry; if not, stick to one sex.

Several cory cats and ottos will fill out your tank and help keep it clean.

Throw in some java fern, java moss and foxtail, and presto! You have a beautiful, active, easy to care for community tank.

Cichlids and even clown loaches can be a headache in a community tank.

LGooley

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Hi,
I agree with Ken. Platies, Mollies, Guppies all come in many different strong beautiful colors. Cory cats also come in different colors, spots, stipes. Cichlids can be very aggressive and not good in a community tank. Good luck:)

ChaosBlizzard

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
Visit site
In my experience platies are very very weak fish. I had 12 of them at one time in my tank, they each died one by one. I know what Im doing with water quality, I maintained the life of a angel fish in a 30gal tank for 10 years.. Everything checked, and the tetras seemed to flourish in the tank and the time. I didnt have those color tetras, I had the snow tetras, very stong fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store