Please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

castart

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2014
Hello,
I never posted before, but I am desperate for advice. I have had a pond with goldfish for several years with very few fish dying. I have a pond with about 15-20 goldfish that appear to be going to the top for air. I recently went on vacation and before I did, we won like 4 goldfish at a carnival and I put them in pond. I hired somebody to feed fish while I was gone, may have fed too much, and when I got home I cleaned out all food and changed water and put in dechlorinator, I haven't feed since because they keep dying and I don't know what to do. I don't know if this is enough info but if anybody can provided advice or help me out on what I should do next, please help!! Could overfeeding for a week kill all these fish to where they are going to the surface for air even though filter is running strong and done all the changes as stated above? I am at a loss what to do next, I am going to fish store in a bit to buy a test kit and wondering if I should get antifungal or is there anything else I should get?
Please help if you can, thanks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I assume this is an outdoor pond. How large is it (water volume)? What is the normal water temperature or air temperature will be sufficient to know?

A couple of possibilities come to mind. One being that if it is very hot, goldfish will gulp air; I don't know if there is an upper limit to this, and water volume plays into it as the warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold, and the more fish in smaller water volume makes this even worse. More likely though is introducing some disease with the four new fish, which presumably were not quarantined. Any other odd behaviours, or marks?

I'm not expert with goldfish, but with more info other members shold be able to offer advice.

Byron.

castart

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for the help, I just did all the tests and no ammonia, ph level, nitrite are all normal so it looks like my problem is elseware. I do notice the scales of the fish coming off so I also bought some sea salt, but I don't know if I put enough for an approx. 500 gallon pond, it says a table spoon for every 5 gallons and I only put in like 100 gallons worth just because I am not sure if this will shock the fish. They are all still breathing really hard gasping for oxygen, and I have the filter going, I will put the waterfall on too. The guy at Petsmart wasn't much more help. Any other ideas.

castart

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2014
picture of my fish

I just tried to attach some pics, hope I did it right.

fish 004.jpg fish 003.jpg fish 005.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
There is clearly a problem here, and I am leaning to some disease arriving with the new fish.

One thing I would suggest is to close this thread and move your last posts to the other thread where other members have been involved. It is much better to keep a topic in one place, to avoid someone missing things. You will get a better response.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store