Hood lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
The ballast in one of my hoods went out. Called LFS today and the only light hood they have is LED & that everyone is switching to LED. True or are they trying to make a sale?

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
a lot of fishkeepers (esp plant folks and reef folks) are moving toward LED as prices come down and quality of fixtures improves. Manufacturers are making lamps for all sorts of applications now - from fish only tanks to SPS reefs. It might be wise for you to make the switch. You need a light anyway. What's your application?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
For tanks with no plants or low to medium light plants I think LEDs are great. They aren't that expensive online. They use less electricity and lasts a long time. The shimmer they create is nice if you have some surface agitation. What size tank do you have and what do you have in it?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I had the same issue occur a month or so back. T8 fixtures are next to impossible to find. If you want to go with LED, and depending upon the use as someone mentin9oed, it is one option. I had asked an electrician about fixing the old one, he indicated around $200. I have planted tanks and decided to fix my fixture myself by removing the workings and inserting a dual-tube T8 shop light that I got from Home Depot for less than $30. Same light as I had before. This might be an optioon too.

Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
I have 2- 24" hoods and only one went out. I can get the whole hood for about $40, Marineland has an LED for $50 so might as well get the LED. Mostly tetras in the tank, amazon sword, anubias and some green mondo grass. Thanks for the info!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The standard Marineland LED hoods are not intended to support plants.

I know I tried it on a 10g, w/ Marineland LED hood. Very low amount of light.

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
I was just reading that so that option is out. I may just buy the fluorescent hood for now, save up some money and get some good LED in a few months or when these go out. I was also reading where I could order a new ballast and just wire it in. Depends on how lazy I am this weekend :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store