Substrate Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Ideas for substrate for planted nano tanks would be fantastic! & what does everyone think of CaribSea Tahitian moon sand? Thanks!

cooldude123

Yesterday Upon the Stair
Sep 8, 2007
Bangor,Me
Real Name
Brian
I've heard word that it's rather sharp. But I've also heard that it's fluffy like confectionary sugar. personally I think it's beautiful and have been considering using it myself. If you've both the money and inclination you ought to pick up a bag and let us all know. =] ((would you be using it as a cap over dirt/clay, or would you be using that pure, unmixed, and dosing ferts?)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would not waste the money on so-called "enriched" substrates. Plants will grow just as well in plain sand or fine gravel as in dirt or enriched substrates. Nutrients if needed (this depends upon the plant species, source water parameters and fish load/feeding) can be added to the water column via liquid fertilizers. Substrate tabs help with large heavy-feeding plants but this wouldn't apply in a nano tank. Nutrients cannot be taken up directly from the substrate material, they must first enter the water column in order for the plant roots and leaves to take them up, and with normal water circulation through the substrate this is achieved.

As for Flourite, the gravel is sharp, a concern if you intend substrate fish or fish that may feed from the substrate. Not sure about the Flourite Sand, but given the expense and it is not going to provide any benefit (I have used Flourite in one tank for two years until I took it out) I wouldn't bother with it.

Sand would be best in a nano tank. I use play sand but one of the much more expensive aquarium sands will work.

Byron.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks so much for the replies! I've been keeping an eye on prices through Amazon as well as my local LFS... Was on the fence but thinking of taking the leap, it's just beautiful. Glad to hear it's not sharp, wouldn't want my shrimp or nerite snail getting hurt.

Right now the only plants I have in the tank are Marimo balls & a small bit of java moss, it seems to be flourishing even with the crappy stock light. I'm looking at doing a 20gal divided build to give them more space in the near future. Thanks again for the info!

(forgot to mention, yes I'd be using it alone)

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I've used gravel with Flourite, Flourite sand, pool filter sand, gravel, and play sand. Only the tank with the Flourite sand would have been considered "high tech." It worked well; I kept dwarf cories and anchor cats (whatever their scientific name is these days) at different times on it and they all did great. Heck, the cory cats were just beginning to regularly spawn when I had to tear it down...

All that to say, I think you would be just fine with just about any of the common options you choose. If you feel like going all crazy on substrate (for whatever reason..), I have a thing of ADA Amazonia 2 sand in an unopened bag somewhere. I was going to throw it in a nano tank that never happened.... PM me if that is something you are interested in. If not, just pick a substrate you like with your inhabitants in mind, rinse it, and voila!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks! I'm still on the fence & am waiting for when I upgrade on the build I want to do... But I'm going to do some java moss carpet soon! :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have had plants flourish in substrates as simple as bulk pea gravel, that's under $3/bag for ~50lbs of it. Like Byron suggested above, it depends on what bottom dwellers you intend to keep and the look you like. I have tried enriched plant substrates and they worked great, but no better than ordinary substrates (for me).

I have yet to use sand, but think it looks the most natural. Pool filter sand may not look as natural as play sand, but it won't require a massive amount of washing. Some in the hobby have used pool filter sand right out of the bag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store