LEDs for Planted Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I'm using a 3 bar National Geographic LED on a planted 46g, and my amazon swords are going crazy. The light has both white and blue LEDs, can be used as white only, white/blue, or blue only (moonlight mode), and has a timer for both day and night settings.

The only plants I had trouble with was the dwarf hair grass. Everything else is doing fine - anubias nana, amazon swords, cardinal plant, red ludwigia, java ferns, and El Niño ferns. Just added some water wisteria for the bichir to rest in, and it's taking off well too. The smaller plants get pulled up regularly, but have healthy roots and new growth.

I'm not sure how my LED compares to the one you're looking at, but my plants are growing. I've had this tank running for close to 3 months now.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for the info! Sounds like your tank is beautiful! What kind of bichir do you have?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I grow water sprite, wisteria, anubia, amazon sword and java fern under 6500-6700K lighting. 12000K is a bit too blue IMO.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I use a 10k/Actinic LED from aquatraders - I Like it blue. the plants don't really care about color temp - it's what satisfies your eye/

I don't know if I over looked it but I didn't see any tech specs anywhere

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks everyone for the input! The only bichir I'd seen here is a nigerian we had for awhile before getting out of the aquarium scene. The bichirs are really fascinating!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store