Check your tanks after a power blip!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Two of my aquariums are in our very busy mud/laundry room. My 75g and 10g. Yesterday I notice this horrendous STINK in the room. Nothing unusual, given my kid's nature to throw wet swim gear or clothing in unusual locations in the room. I won't even throw my 3yr/old's occasional pants-pooping into the mix.. LOL.

Anyway, the smell was bad. I started looking around for spilled fish food, etc. I noticed the shrimp in my little planted 10g seemed unusually active, with countless numbers swimming about, and the water looking cloudy. Upon further investigation, the AquaClear 30 HOB on this tank was humming, but not pumping. Uh oh.. I pop the top off the HOB only to be met with a stench that would gag a maggot. The motor housing was almost too hot to touch, basically evaporating what water was left in the HOB tank. Even though I keep a sponge over the AC30 suction, shrimp still get past, and there's always a dozen or more in the HOB. Well, they were all toast.. and MAN do those things get stinky fast.

I had to disassemble and clean the whole filter, replace both sponges and rinse the bio media thoroughly.. Pretty sure any BB I had in there is long gone. Did a 75% water change, measured water params and got everything back running. Params were 0,0,<5.

Only thing I can figure is, the day before, we had a quick power blip. Just enough to blink the lights. I know on occasion, my AC30s don't power up without an impeller "flick", even though they're as clean as a whistle. I don't usually see this with my AC70s or 110. Long story short, check your tank hardware after even a quick power blip.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Two of my aquariums are in our very busy mud/laundry room. My 75g and 10g. Yesterday I notice this horrendous STINK in the room. Nothing unusual, given my kid's nature to throw wet swim gear or clothing in unusual locations in the room. I won't even throw my 3yr/old's occasional pants-pooping into the mix.. LOL.

Anyway, the smell was bad. I started looking around for spilled fish food, etc. I noticed the shrimp in my little planted 10g seemed unusually active, with countless numbers swimming about, and the water looking cloudy. Upon further investigation, the AquaClear 30 HOB on this tank was humming, but not pumping. Uh oh.. I pop the top off the HOB only to be met with a stench that would gag a maggot. The motor housing was almost too hot to touch, basically evaporating what water was left in the HOB tank. Even though I keep a sponge over the AC30 suction, shrimp still get past, and there's always a dozen or more in the HOB. Well, they were all toast.. and MAN do those things get stinky fast.

I had to disassemble and clean the whole filter, replace both sponges and rinse the bio media thoroughly.. Pretty sure any BB I had in there is long gone. Did a 75% water change, measured water params and got everything back running. Params were 0,0,<5.

Only thing I can figure is, the day before, we had a quick power blip. Just enough to blink the lights. I know on occasion, my AC30s don't power up without an impeller "flick", even though they're as clean as a whistle. I don't usually see this with my AC70s or 110. Long story short, check your tank hardware after even a quick power blip.
Omg:what:
So glad you found out in time! Thanks for posting this. This will help everyone I the long run.

-Patty

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had it happen a time or 3. It seems a lower than full water level is part of the problem. That & an unlevel filter that allows more water to exit the filter, either into the tank or onto the floor. My old Whisper filters never have that happen but I like ACs better despite this rare issue.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Yep, had this happen every time there is a power outage, no matter how short. And we have our own power company in this town, and they suk, so the power goes out every time the wind blows. Sometimes the ACs will restart, but not always. I can usually tell by if the clock on the microwave is blinking, the filters need to be primed. Thankfully, I only run 6 tanks, but each tank has 2 ACs on it, no exceptions. This is good info for the unsuspecting fish keepers.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you. It's so frustrating. As far as HOBs go, ACs are so nice because of their media and media flexibility, but why they throw such a finicky pump in them is beyond me.

No other HOB I've ever owned will jamb/stall it's impeller for no good reason and I've owned some real cheapo HOBs; TopFin (Whisper), Marineland, Aqueon, etc.

You're OK if you catch your stalled AquaClear within a half a day or so, but beyond that could sure be a disaster.

A fella on another board I frequent went away on vacation and had an auto feeder setup on his tank (ugh!). Power blipped when they were away and stalled the filter he had (not sure if it's an AC). Feeder kept feeding, etc. The tank turned to a putrid mess and totally stunk up his whole house. He quickly went into water change mode, but lost some fish due to this.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have a Marineland/Penguin bio wheel, and it is a PITA if it loses power. I unplugged it one day to do a substantial water change, and it managed to drain out enough water that it refused to pump water when I plugged it back in. Had to stand there pouring water into it so it would start running correctly. And the bio wheel of course refused to work until I devoted several minutes of special attention to it.

Power went out last week while I was out running errands, and luckily my sister was at the house and had the foresight to unplug everything. Once the power came back on, she tried to be helpful and plugged everything back in, but the bio wheel made such a racket that she unplugged everything and waited for me.

The irony is that I have an older Whisper/Aqua Clear on my 20g back in my old house, and it's always started fine after power outages. I still check all my tanks after power issues, but this is good info to share, and it's a good habit to get into anyway.

Out of curiosity, what kind of shrimp are they? Been thinking of setting up a shrimp tank once I have the room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store