Least killifish bpther ghost catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
This is one I did not predict. My 26g has neon tetra and least killi. I added some ghost catfish and I noticed that after a few days the catfish were out and about, but their long "whiskers" were now all short or missing. And my observation is that some of the least killis are eating them!

The catfish don't seem to stress and are hanging out in the open. I can;t think of any way to prevent this other than to try and catch the LKs and move them...?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would suggest the culprit could be either the killifish or the neon tetra, more likely the latter. Disease might be another possibility, but that would probably be more obvious; if the catfish had their feelers and now they are shorter or missing, it is more likely the other fish. The Least Killifish I assume is the species Heterandria formosa? How many neons are there? Keeping too few (less than 6) of any characin (tetra are characins) can cause aggression. And how many Glass (Ghost) Catfish? These are more settled in groups of say 5+.

Byron.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm guessing neons too. They're small but kinda nippy as most tetras can be with long fins or slow (non) movers like ghost cats. I haven't kept least killies but other killies I have kept were also not shy about "tasting" tankmates if they could. No one usually suspects quite small fish, lol.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Heterandria formosa are actually not killifish at all. They are livebearers closely related to guppies. I dont know why they got that misleading label. I'd also be surprised if they were the culprits here. Mine are very shy and probably too small to do that kind of damage to a catfish's barbells.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
It is definitely the LKs, I have watched them do it 5-6 times now. One will eye the end of the barbel, line up and nip it. This will continue until the catfish moves far enough away that they lose the target. I have 8 cats, about 10 tetras, and maybe a 7-8 LKs although only a couple are adult. Keep in mind ghost cat barbels are very fine and long.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
It is definitely the LKs, I have watched them do it 5-6 times now. One will eye the end of the barbel, line up and nip it. This will continue until the catfish moves far enough away that they lose the target. I have 8 cats, about 10 tetras, and maybe a 7-8 LKs although only a couple are adult. Keep in mind ghost cat barbels are very fine and long.
Given this, I would separate them, meaning not have the "killies" (which is not a killie but a livebearer as Gregg very correctly pointed out) in the same tank as the Glass Catfish. If not, the Glass will become severely stressed and won't last long. This species is very timid and may withdraw to the point that it refuses to eat and wastes away. You have a decent sized group which is a plus, as this fish needs the company of their own.

Byron.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Hmm, I am surprised the little formosas are picking on those glasscats. But I was just in the LFS today and they have a group in a display tank . They are fragile looking fish indeed! I guess even the smallest most innocuous fish will pick on something even more delicate.
Good luck catching those little buggers. You could just put them in an unheated 5-10 gallon or equivalent if you need an excuse for another tank...

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
They are little things but they were in the tank first and the biggest ones seem to have a guppy-like temperament. The cats are new and spent the first week hiding in the bushes. Although they hang out mostly in the open now.

I do have a 10g with a female betta in it that I think the LKs would be fine in if I can catch them all. The baby LKs are crazy small and my tanks are all planted.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Yeah, I think they would be fine with the Betta and she may get occasional snacks from the fry.
The fry are not too hard to net provided you can spot them but hey get smarter and elusive as they get older. I still have a couple or more formosas in a 20 gallon tank several weeks after trying to net them all out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store