Nitrates dropped to 0

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CRfishlover

Serial Lurker
Jan 16, 2002
Castle Rock, Colorado
I started a new 15G planted tank about two months ago. I used a filter pad from my 29G Whisper filter in the Whisper filter on this one and the measurements were fine for a while (Ammonia 0, Nitirites 0, and Nitrates steadily climbing from 5 to more than 20 two weeks ago).

Once Nitrates hit 10-15 a month ago, I gradually added fish from the 29G where I now have 6 neons, 2 corries, 3 otto's, and 2 head and taillight tetra's in there. Plants are thriving and fish seem happy.

However, during the past week I started seeing more and more brown particles (waste?) appear in the water and this week's measurements showed that the Nitrates dropped to something undetectable.

It sure looks like a cycle problem and I added a couple of capfulls of Cycle, but I do not know what else to do.

Any input is appreciated.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
My best guess is this. Since you put in the filter media two months ago that was seeded with bacteria and the bacteria did not have a source of ammonia to work with they died. I'm not overly certain what the brown particles are. Since it is a planted tank you should keep testing your ammonia and nitrites. If they stay at zero you should be fine cycle wise. That is the plants may be consuming the ammonia before any bacteria has a chance to get at it. I would do water changes in any event just to try to vacuum out some of the brown particles. Personally speaking I'd stay away from the product Cycle. I haven't heard enough good things about it to say it does anything useful in a tank.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Your nitrates are probably 0 because it's a planted tank, this is one of the benefits of a planted tank. Plants consume nitrates as a source of food, if the bio load is light enough and the tank is not overstocked, then it's very possibly that there will be just enough nitrates to keep the plants fed. If this is the case then you may actually have to provide supplemental nitrogen. I believe a good level of nitrates is 5ppm (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another thing that could have happened is you could have added fish too quickly and caused the tank to re-cycle. Test your ammonia and nitrite immediately.

Also cycle is useless, read the ingredients. It's just water conditioner.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
That's what I was guessing actually. I'd say keep measuring, but most likely your plants are using up the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in your tank quicker than they are being produced. I still don't know what your brown stuff floating about might be though.

CRfishlover

Serial Lurker
Jan 16, 2002
Castle Rock, Colorado
Originally posted by cdawson
it's very possibly that there will be just enough nitrates to keep the plants fed. If this is the case then you may actually have to provide supplemental nitrogen.
Any suggestions on how to provide supplemental nitrogen?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
To do List

1. You may need to clean your filter, swish it in used tank water during a normal water change. The brown stuff is probably filter "dirt" (actually bio-slime). You can clean the loose stuff off and there will be enough bacteria left to keep the filter going. You may find that a lot of the junk is plant material, my filters seem to process more plant wastes than fish wastes.

2. Nitrogen can be added by Seachem Fourish Nitrogen, or by finding KNO3 locally. Sources include local feed stores that carry KNO3 fertilizer (very cheap), pharmacies that carry "saltpeter", certain types of stump removers at the hardware store, plus several mail order sources. Also, fish food and fish are a great source of nitrogen, can you add more fish?

3. Brown stuff may be brown diatoms. That might go away by itself, or may require higher lighting. Also otocinculus catfish will eat that, as will Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store