Am I doing this right?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Ok, real quick, a work friend of mine gave my family a 40 (or 45?) gallon tank that we set up a few months ago. All in all it has been a nice community of fish, but I want to make sure I'm taking the best care of them that I can!

The set up so far is a whisper 40 filter and an air stone for good measure. We had plastic plants and a decoration (my Boyos call it the the monkey bars) until I noticed a couple white spots on the side of the tank and only one bala shark. Having had a small tank in the past, I knew it was the beginning of ICH. Went to Petco and they sold me an anti-fungal additive (shame on me). Went to a real local fish store and got the right stuff. Today is day four of treatment. Oh- substrate is lava rocks and black pea gravel.

As for the fish, they seem quite happy despite some minor losses. We started with 12 fish- 3 platys, 3 bala sharks, 3 fancy guppies and three spotted Cory cats. Later we added five neon tetras. We lost two of the cats, three of the tetras and a couple plecos (forgot to mention them). We were going to replenish the schooling fish but decided for the ICH to clear. They don't seem stressed at all.

Oh- add to that about four generations of Platy babies and counting, and six or so baby guppies. And two tiger snails. This is hard to keep track of!

Ok, on to the questions. First I'm concerned I'm not keeping the substrate clean enough. My friend said vacuum gravel and add treated water once a month, 25% water change. Is this enough?

Also I read the pickup tube for the filter should be 2" to 3" from the substrate, ours is closer to 8. I ordered two extension tubes for that.

I wondered too about algae control. The tank doesn't get direct sunlight, but the pleco and the snails aren't quite keeping up. Should we plan to add another pleco? Other ideas?

thanks all for advice in advance

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Don't plan on the plecos and snails to keep up. Many Plecos diet change as they age. You need to find the balance for your tank to stop the algae growth. One common mistake is too long of a photo period.

One bala, let alone three is way to much for a 40-45 gal tank. They are skittish fish, also known as tank busters.

Not uncommon for folks to do 30-50% water changes weekly. Including a substrate vac.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have a clown pleco, have had him for years. He sucks at algae control - meaning he absolutely will not touch the stuff. He's doing quite well, grew to roughly 3 inches, and has remained healthy - all while my tank has been overrun with algae. So, I invested in an algae scrubber.

I have nerite snails in the same tank (46g bow), and they've done a decent job cleaning algae off the live plants, but I still have it taking over the glass. (Did I mention an algae scrubber?) My tank doesn't get direct light either, but I invested in a Nat Geo LED because I like LEDs. It also has a timer, so makes it easier to set a light cycle without having to manually turn them off and on.

I also have a 25g community tank set up with the factory fluorescent hood and live plants, right next to the 46g. The 25g is just standard community fare - tetras, danios, guppies. I have 3 spotted corys and 6 black khuli loaches as the groundskeepers and a bunch of bladder and ramshorn for added support. Oddly, this tank doesn't have algae, but that might be due to having more plants.

I vacuum the gravel every time I change water, because a lot of debris accumulates in the gravel. Plecos and snails produce a LOT of waste too, so I usually move the decorations to vacuum under them too. I usually do substantial water changes monthly, with smaller weekly changes as required by test readings.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Too expand on RB's post, how long are your tank's lights left on? With an unplanted tank you have no need for lights really, except when you are viewing the fish, so more than a few hours is a bad idea.
unless you have low light levels. What kind of lights do you have?
A weekly water change of 25% or more is a good maintenance habit to stick to, especially given your smallish filter.
What are you using to treat for ich?
Also, what are the dimensions of your tank in inches? Can you provide pics, especially of the fish with the spots?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
First, when the ich has been cleared, you need to seriously consider re-homing the Bala Shark [if I read this thread correctly, only one is left). If not, it will be unhealthy to put it mildly. This fish will (or should) attain 14 inches, and there are many that reach 16 inches.

What species is the pleco? The common pleco, Hypostamus plecostamus, will attain somewhere between 12 and 20 inches. There are smaller species, like the 4-5 inch Bristlenose (Ancistrus sp.). The latter is primarily vegetarian, but many pleco are omnivorous and their effect on algae is, as others have said, variable at best. There are some fish species that do eat algae, but only certain types; and of course, "problem" algae is never any of these.

Algae. If you do not intend live plants, algae is actually good, as like plants it consumes nutrients and produces oxygen. Except when it grows on live plant leaves, choking them and killing the plant, it can be beneficial and natural, depending upon the type (there are many).

Water changes are the most important part of maintaining a fish tank, probably equal to feeding. You can never change too much water, provided the parameters are close. I do 50% of my tanks (I have six presently) every week without fail. Water changes remove substances that cannot be removed by any other means. A heavily planted tank with a very minimal fish load could somewhat maintain itself without water changes, but even here they do have a benefit for the fish. Every week is minimum, and the volume can depend upon the fish load (number and species), live plants, feeding. I would get in the habit of changin water weekly; your fish will thank you. I've been doing this for 15+ years, and it still amazes me how the fish respond.

Vaccuming the substrate is part of the water change; the fish load, both species and numbers, will again dictate how much is needed. With substrate-rooted live plants, one can reduce this, sometimes even eliminate it. The breakdown of organics in the substrate by bacteria provides nutrients for the plants, especially the major source of CO2. But without live plants, cleaning the substrate will benefit, though you don't want to overdo it, as the various types of bacteria do perform vital roles in a healthy aquarium. Aerobic and anaerobic bacteria are important.

The filter inflow (pulling water out of the tank) should be close to the substrate, about 3-4 inches with the gravel you mention. [I would have it about 6 inches with sand.] The return should be close to the surface.

Byron.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hmmmm...I read it as only one of the three balas had spots...who knows...

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Sorry for the delay in responding, and thank you for the information!

I'm happy to read this information, as it affirms suspicions I was having.

Kordon Rid-Ich plus is what we are treating with. One teaspoon per gallon for four days. Yesterday was day four and I'm not seeing a big difference. Do I keep treating? I read on their site (not the bottle) that I should do a water change before each treatment.

And the only fish I see a white spot on is one of the three sharks.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
A pic of the fish and the tank could be helpful.
If you do have ich I would go ahead and finish the dosages of the Kordan product since you are already using it. The extra water changes cannot hurt either.
I'm guessing something is amiss with your water given your heavy losses. Maybe high nitrates due to infrequent water changes.
Just how large are those sharks and plecos?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with others that a photo would be a big help. One white spot on a fish is not necessarily ich, and frankly not that likely to be ich. And something I missed earlier, the white spots on the tank walls, also probably not ich. You need to definitely ID the issue (if there is one) before going further.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store