29g gambusia tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Hi all.

I'm getting ready to make the official move to a new state. We closed escrow and the previous owners have moved out, so I'm getting ready to start moving in. I'm getting ready to start my set up and cycling on my 29g gambusia tank. A major chain recently had a sale on aquariums, so I was able to save some money while getting a decent tank/stand combo - which came with a hood and free filter. I think the 29 is the same dimensions as a 20 long, only the 29 is much taller.

The free filter was limited to one of two styles, and limited to stock on hand - so I got a Whisper 40i, which I've never used before. I'm rather fond of the submersible filters I have in a couple smaller tanks (super quiet, great water flow), and I've used an Aqua Clear 40 on a 20g in the past. (That filter is still running on the tank because I haven't yet moved it to my new home, and I didn't want to disassemble it and have everything dry out.) I mention brand/style because I'm asking advice/input on this filter, and if it would be ok alone, or should I consider adding a second filter. The tank will be gambusia only, unless cory cats, khuli loaches, or both is recommended.

The hood/light fixture is a 30" Aqueon Delux full hood with a T8 fluorescent bulb. I'm pretty sure this is the same hood style on the 25g community tank I set up for my sister. The live plants seem to be doing very well in the 25g, and I am planning on using live plants for the gambusia. So next question is, is this light sufficient? I'm considering swapping to a Nat Geo LED because I like the day/night modes and timer - but am not set on this. And can a fluorescent hood be used with a timer?

Because I'm planning on live plants, is sand recommended over gravel? I see a lot about pool filter sand, so what recommendation does it have? And is it available in colors other than white? I would prefer to find something that is naturally colored and not epoxy coated. My past experience with epoxy coated/painted substrate is that the coating quickly starts coming off, and I want to avoid this.

I won't be officially moved in for a few weeks, still gotta pack up everything from my old place, but am considering setting up the 29g and getting it cycled well before moving the gambusia. (I eventually plan on having a fishpond, so that's why I'm keeping gambusia.) Is it recommended to set the tank up and let it run it's course unattended, or do I need to monitor it daily? There won't be any fish in it, and I'm looking at being out of town for a couple weeks due to prior commitments. I can have someone check the water level and add water as needed.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'm confused. You said the AC filter is still running. Is it running on this new tank or is there another tank? Is it already seeded with bacteria?
As for cycling your new tank, you do have to add an ammonia source and the best fishless method is pure ammonia, which can be added in small amounts and would have to be monitored
so it's gonna be tough to properly cycle the tank if you will be absent for a couple of weeks. I guess you could put a few pieces of raw shrimp in it and let them slowly decompose.
Could be messy however. I never tried it.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks gmh.

The AC is on my old tank, a 20g back at my former home, which I have running without fish because I didn't want everything drying out. (My fish have already been moved.) It's been running around 10 years, so was going to just move it and set it up as a tetra community tank. (Will only clean it with fresh water and rinse the gravel of debris, as recommended in a different thread.) I will be returning "home" next week for a convention and plan on packing it up and moving it - but may delay that a little longer because I want to repaint my new house. (Previous owners chose dark colors, dim lighting, it sort of feels like a tomb right now.)

The 29g is brand new, currently empty, so I know I will have to cycle it. I just had so much trouble with a tank I set up at my sister's house that was intended as an emergency temporary home for my fish. The off the charts ammonia drove me nuts, and I don't really want to expose more fish to those lethal levels. If it's recommended to do a fish in cycle, I can always wait and cycle it with a few gambusia. I went over and looked at the new house yesterday after posting, and it's definitely going to need new paint, so it's probably best to wait until after new paint to set up an aquarium.

It just occurred to me that I could swap filters to get the tanks running - put the old AC on the new tank and put the new 40i on the old tank. Would this work, or would a few fish help speed things up? I was planning new substrate for the 29g, which is why I asked about gravel vs sand for live plants.

Gmh, you mentioned adding pure ammonia for a fishless cycle. Would this harm live plants? I wanted to use live plants in the 29g, and had thought to let them get established during the cycling process. (I put amazon swords in the tanks I set up for my sister, and they are sending out runners with 3 to 4 new plants each. Plus the java ferns went crazy with new plants on the old leaves, so I now have a jar of excess ferns.) Would invertebrates like snails help with cycling, or do they not produce enough ammonia?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
You can move the AC filter over to the new tank and I think it will still have useful bacteria living inside depending on how long has this filter been running without an ammonia source. ?
With the already seeded filter you could immediately move in some or all of the Gambusia to the new tank. I'd also go ahead and start running the new filter on the new tank as well and ideally add some seeded filter media from the tank where the Gambusia are currently residing. Both filters would work well together on a 29 gallon although just one would be ok with good maintenance or heavy planting.
As for substrate. sand and gravel can both be useful for growing plants. I agree that the coated gravel should be avoided.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I do have some bladder snails, ramshorn snails, and gammarus shrimp in the 20g, but not sure if they are enough of a source to keep the bio process going. The tank does have a great culture of algae going.

I was seriously considering setting up the new tank and getting it started, but with plans to paint, I'm thinking of holding off until the new paint is done. We are looking at having someone paint, and I think a tank might be in the way.

I'm planning on heavy planting because these fish seem to enjoy plenty of hiding places. I collected them from one of my ponds, which had some struggling water lilies because the marauding raccoons keep ripping them up. I do have some water lily tubers that I'm thinking of putting in a tank, but will be using amazon swords in the background.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store