Is this the correct sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone. The fateful day has come when I have to move my aquariums to my new home. I've got the moving procedures down, not worried on that end. But I figure since I would be removing and replacing everything I would change the gravel to sand. I decided on pool filter sand per many statements saying it was a better choice. My question is, did I get the right kind? It is all the hardware store had so I'm hoping it is. Here's pictures of the front and back.

IMG_20140714_194701.jpg IMG_20140714_194635.jpg

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Looks like it. It's # 20 silica, which is good.
The acid test is:
Fill your tank with water ( say 75%), and add some of that sand (couple of pounds of it).
If there is little or no water cloudiness, then you have the right product !
Carry on.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Acid test? I plan on doing a thorough washing to cut down any dust. If that's what you mean?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Quality pool filter sands have little or no dust, grime, dirt or grit, and can be used right from the bag without any pre-rinsing.
I've been using PFS for years and have never rinsed it beforehand. Any minor cloudiness which may occur is quickly dissipated. That's what I mean.
This contrasts with play sands or other sands which contain a lot of dust and must be well rinsed.
The test is to place a small amount of the PFS in a bucket first, add water to more than cover & swirl it around. If you get no cloudiness in the water, you know you're good to go without rinsing.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Ahh, okay. Well I rinsed it all just to be safe. Now, ive never used sand before, but it's my understanding that occasionally it need to be turned over to get any pockets out. Does this apply if the entire tank floor is covered with plants? Also, I'm on a very strict budget right now and I don't really have funds for root tabs for an entire tank, could I mix mulm from my old gravel into the sand yo add nutrients?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
You wouldn't likely be risking the development of anaerobic gas pockets if your sand is not too deep.
I've never had a problem keeping the sand level in the non planted areas to under a 1/2" or so. And in the planted areas, I try not to exceed 2 &1/2" of sand depth. Generally speaking, problems develop in sand depth of over 3" or more.
If your entire sand bed is covered in plants, quite frankly I feel you would need to use root tab ferts to permit the plants to achieve reasonable growth, along with dosing of liquid or dry ferts in the water column.
A half dozen root tabs are quite inexpensive, (just a few $) and only need to be replaced about every 5-6 months. They can cover a fairly wide area, if placed apart approx. every 6"-8" or so, where they can do some reasonably good fertilizing.
In a 10 gal tank for example, you can get by well with as few as 3 root tabs.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I've used a few different brands of PFS, including the one you have. I always rinse them. Even the ones that advertise as "dust-free" have some fines in the bag. It doesn't take long and I feel it pays off by my not having to wait for it to settle out in the tank water later.

I try to keep sand depth from 1 1/2" to 2".

Mark

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Excellent. Thank you! I will keep an eye on my girlfriends tank. We used sand and it's probably 3" deep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store