Learn me canister filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Boy, the aquarium world has changed a LOT since I kept a small tank while in college. Like pre-internet days, like VAX vintage.

Anyway, I'm starting to learn about canister filters. I'd like to add one to our fledgling 45 gallon tank in addition to our Whisper 40 HOB filter.

A google shopping search yielded probably a dozen different brands ranging from $60 to several hundred dollars. Are there good names to look for? I'm not sure how to pick one out...

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I just started my first tank (56gal column) and got an Eheim 2215. It's keeping the tank crystal clear and is fairly easy to setup. I can't hear the filter running at all. The only sound is the water coming out of the spray bar.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Canisters are not very complicated at all. Most have a top mounted motor, and media baskets or boxes inside the canister. Many media options and major brands also have their own but can be used with other filters.

Fluvals are great filters, Eheims are too. If money is a factor, then SunSun/ AquaTop canisters are good. I have 2 Fluvals and a SunSun and the build quality is noticeable but no noise and easy to service.

Setup is similar for all; intake hose and outlet hose. Spray bar may or may not be included. Once connected and filled with media, open the valves to allow the canister to completely fill with water, may have to prime (push button or plunger) to start the flow, some are self priming.

Hopefully the one you choose will have instructions. Fluval even has a DVD.

Oh, BTW, Fluvals are great filters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I use Marineland "C" series, great work horses.

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Ok, thank you for the input! I work on old cars, and lessons learned from that point toward being careful what brand you buy. Quality varies a great bit!

And yes, the budget is always an issue...

Another question- being a second filter, how do I size it? Should the system match my 45 gallon tank size, or can it be smaller?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a Sunsun 302 and a Marineland C360. Both have been excellent. In regards to brand, IMO, not much in the aquarium filter realm is overbuilt these days. You'll find cheapness in all of them. For a tried and true canister that's been on the market for a long time, look into an Eheim classic canister. Canisters are nice if you want to go with lots of live plants and want to minimize surface agitation. They've got such a huge amount of filtration media in them, that you can typically go months between cleanings as opposed to hang-on-backs that might need cleanings every few weeks or so.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Get a canister that is capable of giving you 6-10 times turnover per hour, depending on the fish. The flow rating of any filter is at best half of what is advertised do to the media slowing the flow.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I'd say the top two brands are Eheim and Fluval, in that order. I also have a Cobalt EXT filter that is great and could handle a 45 gallon tank by itself. It's probably the easiest of the group to service. I have one SunSun canister and it's a good cheap choice, but not as good as an Eheim or the Cobalt.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
After reading the forums on different topics, I too have been wondering about a canister. I'm familiar with the old school under gravel (which seem to be going the way of dinosaurs), and HOB style because I've used one on a 20g for 15 or so years. (2 different brands because the first just up and stopped working one day.) I recently bought a submersible for the 25g community I set up for my sister, and while it's absolutely silent, it's obvious in the corner of the tank and created a pretty strong current.

How do canisters do with power outages? Some HOBs absolutely must be primed again after losing power, which can be a nightmare if it happens while you are out - or on vacation.

How quiet/noisy are canisters? Can one be set up to handle multiple tanks? Is it best to have just a canister, or should it be supplemented with a backup? And do you have to unplug a canister to do water changes?

I'm planning on doing a heavily planted 29g for my gambusia, but I'm also looking at a large tank (180g or so) for my sea monsters (large tinfoil barb and Denison barbs). I want something that's going to effectively filter the tank without too much hassle. Skippy (the tinfoil) is large, a decent waste producer, and rather destructive because he races around and crashes into stuff. (He's broken 2 glass thermometers and a couple heaters already.)

Sorry for the potential thread-jack, Owens. You brought up a topic I've been mulling over, so rather than starting a new one, I thought it might be better to ask here.

Oh, about your bala sharks.... My tinfoil is in the same family. They need a LOT of room. I'd seriously look at getting a very sturdy tank with a heavy lid because they will crash around, especially if startled. My tinfoil absolutely HATES me working in or cleaning the tank. Freaks him out something fierce, and last time he got so stressed he jumped over the aquarium support that keeps the top from bowing. I got a face full of tank water for my efforts, but at least mini Shamu stayed in the tank. (And for those who picked it up.... Yes, single tinfoil. Lone survivor of a difficult to find color strain. Would love more if I can find them.)

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Thats funny- I'm an electrician by trade, and power bumps never crossed my mind! Maybe a small UPS would be in order here for the filters. I will consider this myself. Mind you they likely won't last if the outage spans more than 24 hours, unless you buy a bigger UPS.

I'm kicking myself for being so blasé about setting up this tank. I just went into auto-pilot and started making decisions based on 20 year old information. Even back then I was told fish will only grow as large as their environment. I had a couple bala sharks that kept my gar company back then, that tank was up for one and a half years and they didn't outgrow my 20 gallon tank.

live and learn I guess.

so we are communicating with our five year old son- who picked the sharks out- why we won't be able to keep the sharks for too long. Oh, and the pleco too (it's his as well).

thank you all for being so helpful- this is a great forum!

After reading the forums on different topics, I too have been wondering about a canister. I'm familiar with the old school under gravel (which seem to be going the way of dinosaurs), and HOB style because I've used one on a 20g for 15 or so years. (2 different brands because the first just up and stopped working one day.) I recently bought a submersible for the 25g community I set up for my sister, and while it's absolutely silent, it's obvious in the corner of the tank and created a pretty strong current.

How do canisters do with power outages? Some HOBs absolutely must be primed again after losing power, which can be a nightmare if it happens while you are out - or on vacation.

How quiet/noisy are canisters? Can one be set up to handle multiple tanks? Is it best to have just a canister, or should it be supplemented with a backup? And do you have to unplug a canister to do water changes?

I'm planning on doing a heavily planted 29g for my gambusia, but I'm also looking at a large tank (180g or so) for my sea monsters (large tinfoil barb and Denison barbs). I want something that's going to effectively filter the tank without too much hassle. Skippy (the tinfoil) is large, a decent waste producer, and rather destructive because he races around and crashes into stuff. (He's broken 2 glass thermometers and a couple heaters already.)

Sorry for the potential thread-jack, Owens. You brought up a topic I've been mulling over, so rather than starting a new one, I thought it might be better to ask here.

Oh, about your bala sharks.... My tinfoil is in the same family. They need a LOT of room. I'd seriously look at getting a very sturdy tank with a heavy lid because they will crash around, especially if startled. My tinfoil absolutely HATES me working in or cleaning the tank. Freaks him out something fierce, and last time he got so stressed he jumped over the aquarium support that keeps the top from bowing. I got a face full of tank water for my efforts, but at least mini Shamu stayed in the tank. (And for those who picked it up.... Yes, single tinfoil. Lone survivor of a difficult to find color strain. Would love more if I can find them.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store