I HOPE MY 36 GALLON CORNER BOW WON'T BE OVERSTOCKED ONCE MY LAST FISH IN QT ARE ADDED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok so I have been restocking my 36 gallon corner bow for a few months now. I had one small problem with two sick cories but was able to treat the problem in QT which I posted in the bottom dwellers forum if you are interested in the story and for the most part a successful outcome. I think I might have pushed the envelope a little bit with the number of fish I chose but hopefully will be ok with the choices I made. I do water changes every two weeks and am going to follow some good advise my broinlaw who also has fish told me to do.

First listed below will be my stock of fish once finished with QT process. The rasboras are small so I think I should be ok with really good water changes. I usually feed my fish a variety of foods every day. I have always had cories and in the past I ended up with slight ammonia issues because I over fed because I didn't think the cories were getting enough food. My broinlaw told me he was told by a reliable person to feed fish flakes, brine shrimp or bloodworms every other day he told me to start out feeding the cories at night two of the tetra veggie algae wafers and to do that twice a week so am assuming don't feed the fish flakes on those days because the other fish will also eat the algae wafers too. I do know cories need sinkable food but I think my mistake was feeding flakes during the day and the wafers at night in the past thus the ammonia problem. Is the feeding schedule you think correct?My broinlaw told me it has worked for him with no issues. He said he was told hungry fish are healthy fish.:feedback:

6 Bleeding heart tetras
8 Rasboras
6 melanistius cories
5 golden long-finned danios
6 cherry barbs

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Lots of small fish you got there. I would say you're 65% stocked just from looking....no worries there.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You are not over-stocked, but very near capacity. Bleeding Hearts and Danios like a lot of swimming room, so a 36 corner has it's limits. Bleeding hearst if given room, will grow pretty big. My BH grew to about the size of my palms.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with Jessica. But having said that, you should be OK but I would increase the water changes to every week. Volume I would do around half the tank. Nothing is as important as regular water changes.

On the feeding, I feed flake or micro pellet for the upper fish and drop in the sinking food for the corys/loaches depending upon the tank. The upper fish will try to get some of the sinking as well, as Bleeding Hearts usually do (mine do), but you can feed sufficient that the corys have some to feed on. Feeding after total darkness (not just tank light out, but complete darkness in the room) can work for nocturnal fish like corys. I generally feed daily, missing a day each week, sometimes two days missed. Water change day is a good one to miss, as you should not feed prior to tank maintenance.

Byron.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Thanks everyone for the advise really appreciate it. Wow Tanker a BH that big the size of your palms that's awesome I never had one that big.:thumbsup:The BH's are pretty hardy too. I Have had this type of fish in my tank before and they do fairly well. Am looking forward to the cherry barbs going into my main tank. So far the cories are doing great and the other fish too in the main tank and the fish in the QT doing well too so all is good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store