I figured out where the ammonia is coming from...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
From the City of Ann Arbor website:

An Important Note for Fish Owners

Using untreated city drinking water in fish tanks, ponds and aquariums is harmful to fish and any organism with gills. Ammonia is present in the City’s drinking water at approximately 0.25 parts per million (mg/L). This ammonia is bound with chlorine in the water to form the water supply’s disinfectant, chloramine. While ammonia at these levels has no adverse impact on humans or other mammals, it is harmful to fish or any organism with gills. Therefore, the ammonia must be deactivated before using city water in a pond or aquarium containing fish. It is important to note that simply removing the chlorine from the water will not remove the ammonia. Instead, fish owners may add certain chemicals to the water to deactivate the ammonia. Products containing these chemicals can be purchased at local pet supply and aquarium shops. The City recommends fish owners consult with a pond or aquarium professional to select the appropriate product.

Big fat duh on my part! I should have known this since my Dad worked in municipal water quality for 40 plus years. He was teaching me to use my API master kit, and we did test the pH of the tap water, but not ammonia! I guess that isn't a bifg deall in drinking water.

At any rate I did add some Kordon AmQuel plus today since I still dont see my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels falling. I will check it again before my water change this friday.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Use Prime...best bang for your buck. Once the tank is established, the ammonia from your tap should disappear in 24 hrs, with consistent water changes. Chloramine is pretty common in the US. Test your tap for nitrites and nitrates as well. pH is okay to test but GH/KH will tell you more.

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Thanks Rbishop- I will check out the Prime.

I don't know why we didn't do a full work up on the tap water, but we will.

Also, I was surprised the API master kit didn't include the hardness tests- after I learned about them of course!

I have to mention a funny thing- my whole life chemistry was my arch-nemesis. Now how I'm having to deal with it to keep our fishes healthy. Ironic!

Use Prime...best bang for your buck. Once the tank is established, the ammonia from your tap should disappear in 24 hrs, with consistent water changes. Chloramine is pretty common in the US. Test your tap for nitrites and nitrates as well. pH is okay to test but GH/KH will tell you more.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I use Prime myself and have used it for 10 years or more. It's something of a "hot button" between fishkeepers tho, but the other recommendations I see a lot are AmmoLock and AmQuel Plus. My LFS recommended Prime and AmQuel when I had a serious ammonia spike while my tanks were cycling. (Not together tho, one OR the other.)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Updates?

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
People should be aware that water conditioners like API Tap Water Conditioner get rid of chloramine and chlorine for good. I think it is a mistake to think that some products do the same thing when they just tie up these toxins temporarily. I think that products like Prime, Amquel, etcetera are for use in an emergency with high levels of ammonia that are toxic to the fish.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
any documentation on that?

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Apparently I was wrong about the more modern water conditioners like Seachem Prime - they do not leave residual ammonia. But I took a quote from a page that I was reading as follows:

"Please note that the older Amquel or Ammo-Lock also neutralizes the ammonia, however these formulas do NOT leave it readily bio available for the nitrifying bacteria. Amquel or Ammo-Lock are OK for established aquariums; I just do not recommend using them for new less established aquariums or for aquariums that have been treated with medications.

Another important point about aquarium water conditioners is that many basic water conditioners such as API Tap Water Conditioner, Start Right, and even slime coat additive conditioners such as Novaqua and Stress Coat will remove chlorine and break the chlorine/ammonia bond in chloramines removing the chlorine, however leaving the ammonia ions behind."

I doubt that I can post the Internet address of this quote, but you could probably get it by googling a sentence from the quote. The article's title is "
[h=2]Aquarium Water Conditioners; Review, Information"[/h]

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It's just your first post sounded odd....as in what those products really do. I think you will find the lion's share of folks here recommend Prime, as consistent use, not just for emergencies....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store