lizard id help needed please :-)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anura630

AC Members
May 22, 2008
Hi all! I'm new here but hoping you guys can help me out. I need some help in identifying a lizard that I found wandering across my kitchen floor. I live in centralish PA and don't have any known lizard populations in my yard. However I have recently found toads which are new to my yard this year so who knows.... My yard didn't even have a single earthworm in it when I moved in, now I amazed at the new critters I see each year. Also... I recently purchased some new house plants that looked like they were "fresh off the truck" so to speak from FL.( hmmm)

Last week I tried contacting a PA herp website for help because I suspect this guy is not indigenous to the area and I don't want to release the little guy if that's true, but haven't heard anything back yet. I was leaning towards brown anole by comparing some pictures but really need some help! I just want to make sure this guy gets the proper care he needs. Thanks so much!

Michele

Here is a link to some pics http://s99.photobucket.com/user/anura630ab/library/unknown lizard?sort=3&page=1

Here's a pic(the finger is there for a size reference)

016.JPG

016.JPG

Foster Reves

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2012
You are correct. It is a juvenile Anolis sagrei. They are not native to PA but are taking over Florida. If I had to guess I would bet that it came in on a plant shipment. Do you live near a Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc?

anura630

AC Members
May 22, 2008
Thanks so much for the identification. Yes I live near all 3 box stores. The plant I am now suspecting it hitch hiked in on came from Walmart, and like I said, looked like it came "straight off the truck" from Florida (meaning it was very very healthy). So looks like I have a new pet.

I have the little guy in a small temporary terrarium, but looks like I'll be getting to have some fun setting him(or her) up a nice house!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Greetings from south central PA! Yes, that's a Brown Anole like mentioned and a female by the looks of it. Glad you found her because she would definitely not survive one of our winters!

anura630

AC Members
May 22, 2008
Hi Vicious_Fish thanks for the greetings! Sorry I missed your post, always nice to meet a fellow PA fish/herp lover. Yes I'm glad I found her also, I would hate to think what would have happened to her.

So, I have been working on a slightly roomier terrarium for her. I have read these guys can do well in groups of a few females and a male as long as the have adequate room but I don't have any pet sores in the area that sell the Anolis sagrei, much less juvie sized ones. Plus I still want to be able to keep a close eye on her and make sure she is eating well. So I've set up a temporary 10 gal. until I can see if I can find a reliable source for some buddies for her.

Here are some bad attempts at pictures. I'm still working on things, I have some more vining branches to add and other small plants. I had wanted to create a "stream" look, but didn't have enough natural stones to use so that's what the metallic glass stones are, eventually I'll replace them. Please feel free to give any suggestions or critics. (the lamp was just there to give some lighting for pics and the plants, it will be replaced with appropriate lighting/hoods when the time comes)

Michele

013.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG

013.JPG 015.JPG 017.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I think it looks like a great start so far! I'm a big fan of live plants because they help keep the humidity up. Only thing I might suggest is to place a few more branches in there. These will be important under the basking light. Bamboo poles work well too if you want to try something other than branches. Will you be providing some UVB lighting?

anura630

AC Members
May 22, 2008
Yes, I love live plants also. This will be the first time I've done a terrarium setup this heavily planted though, so I hope I can keep both plants and lizard happy!

Thanks so much for the input. Yes, I have a reptisun uvb fluorescent bulb I will be using and I also have more branches to add. I don't want to add them all yet since I am still adding some of the smaller plants and still have a few things from the old terrarium that I want to transfer. It makes it to hard for me to get around with the branches/vines in my way. I hadn't thought about using bamboo poles, I have some I may just have to try. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store