Black Moor tumor near eye has burst.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

robustoma

Registered Member
Jul 22, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello folks,

I'm concerned that I'm likely to lose a black moor that I've had for about 7 years. I lost the first of the pair a couple of months ago for reasons unknown. But this one has had a tumor or bump near its eye for a couple of years. It didn't seem to be bothering it but lately I've noticed that the moor's fins are a little distressed and in the evening it is sitting on the bottom. Appetite and swimming are otherwise normal.

First, the standard information:

1. What is the size of your tank?

55 Gallons

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

API ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 40ppm, pH 6.6, KH 80(carbonate hardness) and GH 120(general hardness).

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

Freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

7 years

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

one Ryukin goldfish. one black moor goldfish (both 8" plus) and one 3" bristlenose pleco.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

N/A. They've been together without new fish for 7 years.

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

no

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

Emperor 400 and Penguin 330. I add crushed coral as filter media to the emperor. alternate cleaning every other week.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

air stone

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

natural sunlight from window across the room.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

once per week, 12 gallons.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

Hikari sinking pellets. Twice per day, just a pinch. Also, half an algae table in the back per day for the pleco. I never have substantial waste at the bottom.

Another issue of overfeeding is the food simply accumulates to the bottom and decomposes. This can cause the ammonia and nitrite to rise dangerously and may cause intoxication of the fish. Always vacuum the leftover foods after five minutes of feeding. Do not rely on your “scavengers” to do the job for you.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

Black Moor is sitting on the bottom at night. fins are turning white at the ends (not blotches or spots). The bump or tumor just seems to have broken or burst.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

I put a tablespoon of pre-dissolved aquarium salt into the filter because of the condition of the fins.
2014-07-22 07.08.37.jpg

Not sure if the photo shows the issue sufficiently. My first question is whether there is anything that I can reasonably do without making things worse. Several years ago, my efforts to treat fish resulted in destroying the cycle in the tank and harming other fish. I've learned that putting a fish in a hospital tank and throwing chemicals and other drastic changes is a good way to make matters worse. I've also learned that the best thing to do is increase water changes and hope that the improved water condition will be conducive to the fish getting better.

The second question is whether I should be quarantining this fish to protect my Ryukin. My sense is that they have been together for so long that anything the moor has, the ryukin already has.

Not looking for a miracle, just practical observation from people here that I'm sure know a whole lot more than I do.

Thanks,
Rob

2014-07-22 07.08.37.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store