115 Gallon Indoor "Pond" Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icydeath

AC Members
Jul 24, 2014
I'm building an extremely small (as ponds go) indoor pond that is about 115 gallons. The water level is 21 inches from the top of the bottom board if that makes sense. Both sides are 36 inches long so it holds about 115 gallons.

I've done a lot of research (one of my hobbies is researching things so that is helpful in this hobby) but I've read a lot of different rules when stocking coldwater tanks. Goldfish especially.

Originally I wanted to get 3 single tailed goldfish of the same type (Shubunkin for example) and I've read a lot of mixed stocking suggestions. They range from blatantly cruel 1-10 gallons per fish to 75 gallons per fish. I've seen a lot of the 20 for the first and 10 for every other but that is mostly for fancies.

So my first plan:
3 Shubunkins
or
3 Comets
or
3 Commons

Second plan:
1 Fantail
1 Ryukin
1 Oranda

With my research habits, I know the fancies will be okay but the single tails are questionable.. I am leaning towards the fancies atm because more space for smaller fish is always better.

Would the single tails be okay? And how would you guys stock this tank (bare bottom atm)? I am open minded and I would enjoy any suggestions given.

Also, I've heard that they like sunlight and it helps with their color development. Because of this I'm wondering if I should place the tank near a window? I know this will cause algae growth, but I am also building an algae scrubber and growing duckweed and hornwort so i think it will be okay. In short, will this mess up my temperature or have negative effects?

Thanks! - Raymond

Last edited:

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
You never said how wide this pond is, but it sounds on the small size for goldfish. The single tails are going to out grow the pond. The fancys will work, but you will need a clean up crew for the bottom. Due to bioload issues, I'd leave it bare bottom except for some rocks and maybe flower pots. The window, don't do it. Algea and heat regulation will the issues. You can use a reptile UV bulb and carve out a clear area on the surface for the fish to sun. One last note, I have always found Orandas to do better at higher temps than the rest.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Overall, I think you'll be disappointed. The only species that was bred to be viewed from above are koi. These will get too big for your pond. I've seen many pond displays over the years and the dorsal view of most fish is unimpressive at best. Of your choices, I think #2 will be better.

Mark

icydeath

AC Members
Jul 24, 2014
@henningc Sorry if it was a little confusing but it is 3 feet wide and 3 feet long. So like a square. The water level is actually 24 inches now as I have modified it.

@wesleydnunder I am okay with them not looking as nice from the top view, I personally enjoy how they look but I get where you are coming from.

julianhoffman

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2005
You could get 3 butterfly tail goldfish. They usually have telescope eyes and they've been bred to be viewed from above as well as the side. When you view them from above their tails look like butterflies. Do a google image search and you'll see. They would make a beautiful indoor pond display.

QuietDusk

AC Members
Jun 22, 2011
Central AZ
Just googled those goldfish. They really are beautiful! And that's saying a lot for me b/c I generally don't care for fancy types.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store