How/what should I stock in the 115?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icydeath

AC Members
Jul 24, 2014
I'm building an extremely small (as ponds go) indoor pond that is about 115 gallons. The water level is 21 inches from the top of the bottom board if that makes sense. Both sides are 36 inches long so it holds about 115 gallons.

I've done a lot of research (one of my hobbies is researching things so that is helpful in this hobby) but I've read a lot of different rules when stocking coldwater tanks. Goldfish especially.

Originally I wanted to get 3 single tailed goldfish of the same type (Shubunkin for example) and I've read a lot of mixed stocking suggestions. They range from blatantly cruel 1-10 gallons per fish to 75 gallons per fish. I've seen a lot of the 20 for the first and 10 for every other but that is mostly for fancies.

So my first plan:
3 Shubunkins
or
3 Comets
or
3 Commons

Second plan:
1 Fantail
1 Ryukin
1 Oranda

With my research habits, I know the fancies will be okay but the single tails are questionable.. I am leaning towards the fancies atm because more space for smaller fish is always better.

Would the single tails be okay? And how would you guys stock this tank (bare bottom atm)? I am open minded and I would enjoy any suggestions given.

Also, I've heard that they like sunlight and it helps with their color development. Because of this I'm wondering if I should place the tank near a window? I know this will cause algae growth, but I am also building an algae scrubber and growing duckweed and hornwort so i think it will be okay. In short, will this mess up my temperature or have negative effects?

Sorry if I'm not supposed to but I posted this in the coldwater forum but general freshwater seems to get more attention.

Thanks! - Raymond

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Man I wish I could help. Back in the glory of AC this would be a no brainer. I only reply because Im sad to see coldwater non active. I was never big in coldwater, but I would ask this. You say pond, but is this just a large tank with a pond setup? Or an actual pond?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
It's spread out wide and flat-like, I'd wager. Have you considered putting some sort of low-tech lights above this tank, and growing plants out of it as well? Could be cool with floaters like water lettuce, a new favorite of mine.

icydeath

AC Members
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the two of you responding.

It is pretty much the large tank with a pond set up.

I will grow water sprite! I like them. I am putting it buy a window (since the goldfish tend the uv and the algae that comes along when it is next to the window)

I'll probably make a supplementary light if necessary....

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store