Neon's getting eatin....Which fish is the culprit??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
55 gallon tank. Just recently restocked my tank with neon's. I had a school of 20.

I have an existing 6 lamp eyes and 6 Long finned Black skirts.

I never see aggression towards the neon's when the lights are on, But 8 are missing in two days.

The lamp eyes are pretty active and i have watched them pick on amano and other fish in the tank. 2 of which are big fat fish

2 Of the black skirts are pretty big as well, but ive never seen them being aggressive to anything other than nipping eachothers fins...

I have 8 missing fish and no bodys to be found!!

Should i remove the largest of them? I cant find anything about either species being neon eaters

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Strange.... You ask to see who is eatting your neons, but do not tell us what is in the tank.

Except some Lamp Eyes and Black Skirts.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
My guess is there's a hard to find sweet spot where all of the bodies are settling after they die of being transferred... probably twice within a few days. Or they're being picked apart after they die.

Or have you checked the floor behind your tank?

Where did you buy them?

What are your water parameters?

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
ya ive dug through the tank. bought from our local place. Never had a problem with fish from them. tank is healthy. Im sure they are getting picked into peices. But no bodys

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
How big are the Black Skirts and the Neons? I've seen a full grown Black skirt Tetra kill and partially eat a half grown Glow light Tetra.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Well, 6 Lamp eyes and 6 Black Skirts can surely eat a few "Already Dead" neons and not leave not much "body" around, but 8??

Jumped out maybe??

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
^ thats because thats whats in the tank...
Sorry, when you said that the "Lamp eyes are pretty active and i have watched them pick on amano and other fish", I thought there were other fishes.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
^ no sir, This is all i have had stocked for a while now. The tank is covered completely, so they would have no where to jump lol. I wish it was as simple an answer as that haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store