High nitrate level in planted tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyInDallas

AC Members
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
Tank has been planted for about 2 months, and have about a 50/50 success rate in plant survival. The Java ferns seem to be doing very well while the swords just died off.

I have an NO2 injector that seems to be doing its job although not all plants are reacting very well.

I think that I have a low-light problem in general as far as the plants go, but I don't have the cash right now to massively upgrade my lighting system.

I have recently seen a large increase in "brown" algae growth all over the tank.

I am thinking that the plant "remains" and other things have eventually led to a high nitrate level.

Any advice on how to get this down?

Nitrate: 80 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 120
PH: 7.4

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
One thing I'd like to know is your tank size and what sort of lighting you have. That and how long you have the lights on. Fish stocking is also something that can be useful.

With nitrates that high you should do some immediate water changes using a vacuum. Remove as much dead matter as you can and also as much algae as practical.

EDIT:

didn't take note of your stocking on your post at first, but now I see it in your signature.

FishyInDallas

AC Members
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
hehe, yea... Tank size and stocking in signature...

Just completed a 50 percent water change with the python. It's become a pain now that I have to go "around" the plants when vacuuming...I'll check the water here in a couple of hours to see what's changed...

Water quality was dead on before going to live plants, and I haven't added any fish...

I have the standard lighting system that came with the tank.
Two ballasts using 18in bulbs. Currently using 2 15 watt Aqua-Glo bulbs, which light the tank and fish just fine for normal use.

As far as the light timing, the light is kept on from 8 AM to 10-11 PM every day, so there is about 14-15 hours every day.

I just compare my tank with some successful planted tanks I've seen and their light output is much brighter...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store