Is there a tropic fish similar to a rainbow trout?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homerr

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
Oregun!
Visit site
I love rainbow trout (They taste great! :D )

Does anyone know if there is a tropical equivalent to the trout?
One that won't eat the rest of my communities?

Thanks,

H.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Maybe it's just me, but other than shape, white cloads don't look a thing like rainbow trout.

I can't think of anything that has a similar color pattern to a rainbow. Maybe a cichlid of some sort---I'm not familiar with them.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
you could buy some little rubber fishing lures that look just like rainbow trout, don't know of anything that looks just like them alive though. Kyle

greenterrorrr

AC Members
Jul 6, 2001
Just get a large tank, something over 200 gallons should do the trick, a water chiller (or a cold location like a basement), and get the real thing. I think a trout tank with rocks and driftwood would be neat. I would personally get brook trout they stay smaller and look prettier IMO.

some_guy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
maquoketa, IA
Visit site
Do NOT get a trout as they need constent SPRING WATER, in other words you have to have a stream that is constantly moving and is not river water, the water will sometimes be completely clear, i have gotten 14 trout this year and i know a lot about them, if you have ever seen that mountain fresh type of bottled water, if that is really taken from mountains ( wich it isnt ) then that is the water that you would need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store